Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say thanks to forum members - I learned of the issue of the clutch cable snapping with little warning of this forum a couple of years ago. I have been faithful in lubing the cable regularly, and I carry a spare cable in my saddlebag. Went for a ride today and 1.5 hours from home the cable snapped. Fortunately, although I was in a city it happened in a low traffic area and at low speed s it was no problem to pull over. Removal and replacement was a breeze with tools from the stock tool kit. Planning to order another cable as a spare tomorrow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm glad you were prepared and you managed to stop safely. Any surprises in how the bike handled after the cable broke? Any advice or do's and don'ts for us other V2K riders when this happens to is while in motion?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cable snapped at the bottom end, guessing it wears more as road grime, etc. gets at it down there. In regards to how it handled fortunately I was only going about 5mph. It took me a moment to realize what had happened when I pulled the clutch lever in as I was attempting to come to a stop. Was in first gear, had both brakes on and the motor just would not stop as I was coming towards a fence, hit the kill switch and all was good. Most bikes would have stalled out but the beast has so much low end torque it just wanted to go.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just turned to 35,000 miles and it's a 2006 so I figure that's not too bad. My bike would gave more miles if I lived down south but in Manitoba I have to park it usually from early to mid November until April, Late March if I'm lucky. I'm going to order another spare cable today.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Was there any rust or visible abrasion on the cable where the break occurred? Just trying to identify if there are any visual indicators that can be discovered if really digging into everything, like I do every fall before it gets put up for the winter.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I bought a spare cable too, due to the reports of some low miles failures and typically not being stocked at dealers.

However, I need to remember to put it in my saddle bag where it might come in handy one day. :eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was there any rust or visible abrasion on the cable where the break occurred? Just trying to identify if there are any visual indicators that can be discovered if really digging into everything, like I do every fall before it gets put up for the winter.
No rust at all, I am vigilant about lubing the cable at both ends. It was frayed where it broke but I had never seen that prior and I generally inspect the bike underneath prior to most rides. It may have started to fray where it's not that visible unless you really crawl underneath to look. I will be checking it more carefully in the future.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's what I was worried about, even when pulling the little rubber boot back a little rust would be visible. If it's fraying then snapping, it's just not the right cable for the job. I ran into this a lot when I rode mountain bikes all the time, the weaker cables would do just what you described, the good ones would last much longer. Sad to see another chink in the VN2000's armor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if I would call it a chink in the armour, my cable lasted 7 years, if the next one goes that long I have no problem with that. On the other hand, my last 2 bike had hydraulic clutch actuation so it was never a worry. Fixed now, a new spare is on order so I'm good to (except the weather-freezing overnight here the next 2 nights-winter is coming yikes!!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ride an '08 900LT just a pinch short of 53K miles. Never had a clutch issue. But the starter switch just quit. Tapped into wires under the tank and installed a push button switch. Haven't taken it apart yet to determine the failure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts