Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share after finding my clutch cable in a bad way after only being maintained some six months ago.

Righto after a winter of riding the sled in all weathers I'd thought it was time for some all round general maintenance in readiness for summer. Most things were ok, except for the rear brake fluid and the clutch cable.

The rear brake fluid came out black and putrid, so stripped everything to make sure nothing was ceased, all good. I Must be giving the rear brake a hard time, meh.

The clutch cable was a mess.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1416371629.118227.jpg

I Stripped it out, cable tied it up and soaked in kero which brought out lots of muck n rust.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1416371718.336249.jpg

I stripped off the lever assembly, this was chocka full of old grease and dirt and was slightly bound up. Bad on my part, to be honest I'd neglected to maintain this since I've had the bike.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1416371813.151170.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1416371834.680874.jpg

Cleaned everything out and reassembled, and regreased the pivot
ImageUploadedByMO Free1416371889.268660.jpg

On further checking the clutch cable i found why it was in bad shape, the black sheath had split. To fix it i used a strip of heat shrink over the area to seal up again. What caused the rub mark and the hole? On closer inspection of where the cable ran found it was rubbing against the modified HD engine bars and mount. I've packed the cable with a rubber bung to stop the 'rub' on the cable.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1416372262.136785.jpg

Considering maintenance was relatively not so long ago i was somewhat taken aback at how much wear n tear the water ingress had done to the cable. It was really chocka full of sludgy rusty slimy crap(the pics don't really show it well) either way not a good look for reliability. Teach me for riding around in chitty weather too eh, haha.

The clutch is again smooth as silk however i would suspect the cable is pretty much knackered now. I carry a spare in the saddle bags in case it lets go.

Cheers Ando.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Bro, Good story, and a lesson to all the slackos that don't do maintenance to their baby. She will bite you on the arse if you don't look after her. I seem to be always lubing and checking everything on bikes, I probably overdo it I think. I hate things that are not smooth and working properly. I also have spare clutch cable, will have to remember to stop leaving it at home in shed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep all part of the fun keeping our beasts on the road. Better to over do things than have an unexpected failure. Erm yeah have to admit to 'been there done that' in the past. Being the fact i ride two up with my wife now, the bike has to be tip top to avoid, um, shall we say 'unplesantarys' hahaha.

GHH, havin that cable in shed won't help bud, murphy's law will pop up and get cha eh ;)

Take care eh, Ando

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
good maintenance starts much earlier than in the garage. I find that if I ride my bikes sensibly and don't hammer and shift often, the clutch cable an most all other consumable parts last almost forever. well maybe not that long, but plenty long nuff that when they start to go south, yor first impression is "wow I sure got my money outa that thing"! poncho

·
Registered
90 Posts
The reason I ask about aftermarket cables failing, I ordered a +4" cable for mine. Ordered it because it takes a couple weeks to make it. Well, before I got a chance to pick out different bars the clutch cable broke. 10,000 miles on it. I have 16,000 on the bike now. 6k with the longer cable

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mine finally quit just shy of 50k. probly age, 7.5yrs was the culprit. I put a stok cable bak on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The reason I ask about aftermarket cables failing, I ordered a +4" cable for mine. Ordered it because it takes a couple weeks to make it. Well, before I got a chance to pick out different bars the clutch cable broke. 10,000 miles on it. I have 16,000 on the bike now. 6k with the longer cable

Provided their made properly and are not kinked or crushed when fitted up, there ideally should be little difference.

At the end of the day the best thing u can do is make sure they are well maintained. They are exposed to the elements after all. Even ya throttle cables need doing, especially the hand piece area.

Me, i do twice yearly (winter/summer) complete strip off and major maintenance since i ride all year round. The bike tends to get a bit of a hiding from the elements so the maintenance is well worth the effort.

Yeah I'm fussy, I hate avoidable break downs, been there done that!

Cheers Ando

·
Registered
90 Posts
The original cable that broke at 10k miles I had done maintaince on it when I bought the bike at 6k. The one that broke was cleaned and lubed 2 months before it broke. When it did, the cable pulled out of the clamp. Is it a common occur acne with the stock cables as well as aftermarket cables. Has anyone had an aftermarket cable fail?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah bugger ya can do when they pull out at the lug.

Can ya still get those screw together lugs???? I had them years ago in my tool kit, very handy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea you can still get the repair ends in the help section at many parts stores. But I'm curious if it just a problem with the factory cables or has anyone had an aftermarket cable fail?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts