Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch cable broke as I was turning into CVS last night. There I was, a little over 3 1/2 miles and 4 lights from home with no clutch. I made it, barely, without having to stop at any of the lights and running one stop sign. Hopefully, I did that without damage to the transmission.

Any advice on clutch cable replacement? It does not look like it should be too hard.

· Registered
520 Posts
Lube the crap out of it before the install. And lube it regularly afterwards. My throttle cable broke and I should have been lubing it much before it broke....at that point I lubed all the other cables including the clutch and it must have been dry because I could really tell the difference. It is a regular part of my oil change process now and it only takes a minute.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Not hard to change at all - instructions are in the service manual. Make sure you adjust it correctly. And, yes - it should be a part of the regular service. A bike's service is a lot more than an oil change! That's why I've stopped buying used motorcycles and cars. Most people that "do their own service" neglect too many things.

Lloyd's broke once and he had to ride an hour and a half on the Interstate in a pack that way. So, it can be done! LOL!

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Dirtwiz, I see you are practically a next door neighbor. Just chain and cable lube, or is there something else I should use?

I saw another thread that indicated an aftermarket replacement, especially the Barnett stainless might be a better replacement. Barnett says shipment in two to three weeks. That sounds awful long.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cable arrived on Tuesday, so I replaced it today. Kind of a long job since you have to remove the mufflers to do it, although I suppose you could do it with the mufflers on. The main thing was attaching the cable to the clutch handle. I ended up taking the handle off to get it to go in smoothly. I wonder if bending the cable to get it attached to the clutch handle might have crimped it and caused the break.

I think it could use a little more adjustment since when I put it in first I still get more clunk than I think I should. I am thinking tighten it down at the clutch end. I am actually not sure which way to turn the middle adjustment in order to tighten it. Advice is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.