Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left work early on Friday, got about halfway home and heard a weird bang. Started looking around (as much as I could while doing 60mph) but figured it out once I pulled the clutch lever to pull over and felt no pressure. I knew it was going to happen one day soon since I have about 20k miles on my 06 but put it to the back of my mind. Ended up having to call a tow truck to get her home after an hour or so of trying to Macguyver something together. Ordered two new cables so I can always have one with me. Worth the $75 piece of mind that I would never be stuck on the side of the road again. What really bothered me is that I JUST lubed and checked that cable a couple of weeks back and didn't see any fraying. Oh well...sh!t happens I guess.

But on a positive note...while I was waiting on the truck a guy on a stock 04 V2K saw me sitting there and stopped. I have never seen another 2K in the wild so it was really cool. So we chatted for a while about our bikes, how great they are, and all the stuff I had done to mine.

I joked with the tow truck driver about having to tow my bike since it wasn't a HD. He did remark that he does tow a LOT of HDs. :)

Moral of the story...get an extra clutch cable and keep it with you because you aren't going anywhere without it unless you are on the back of a tow truck like a HD. :rolleyes:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Did you invite the other V2K rider to join our forums?

And glad you made it home ok...

Out of curiosity.. how much did it cost to have your bike towed?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Where did it break? Right at the end? I wonder if they break because the end doesn't swivel freely in the keeper hole that the ball end sits in?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@smed...well I found out that with AAA you have to have RV coverage for MC's so out of pocket it was about $150 for the 17 mile trip ($4/mile and $80 "loading fee").

@Bill...it broke at the bottom. I don't know if it really needs to swivel much since its being pulled in a straight line. But those top and bottom balls are definitely the weakest link.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Where did it break? Right at the end? I wonder if they break because the end doesn't swivel freely in the keeper hole that the ball end sits in?
mine broke at 45k, rite at the lever anchor end. it was fraying and I knew it was fixing to go, so I had a spare ready. $25? usually i take pix of schitt like this. got none.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Too bad on the misfortune, but thanks for the reminder to move my spare clutch cable from the workbench to the saddlebag.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Too bad on the misfortune, but thanks for the reminder to move my spare clutch cable from the workbench to the saddlebag.

Yep keep mine in the saddle bag since getting it along with a few extra decent tools and puncture kit. The later two have come in handy............. To fix others bikes, lol

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine broke at the top right as i was pulling into the left turn lane of my old apt complex talk about riding a bucking bronco till you get thought turn it off stupid. I came to a complete stop and the damn thing still chuncking along.

I have long thought how nice it would be if they were to have put hydrulic lines instead of pull cables. Had VS1400 intruder that was hydrulic clutch it was extreamly smooth.

But same as everyone else I bought a spare.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine broke at the top right as i was pulling into the left turn lane of my old apt complex talk about riding a bucking bronco till you get thought turn it off stupid. I came to a complete stop and the damn thing still chuncking along.
I actually went a few miles shifting without the clutch which was an experience. Thought I might be able to get further down the road but I was quickly going through my head how many more stoplights I would have to go through and I knew she wouldn't make it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yep keep mine in the saddle bag since getting it along with a few extra decent tools and puncture kit. The later two have come in handy............. To fix others bikes, lol

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.
Hey, I have a fair bit of stuff in saddlebags as well. I think I might have to start putting the saddlebags on the bike, they aren't much good at home in the shed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A friend of mine has a 06 Limited and he has gone thru 3 clutch cables in about 35k miles. All of his broke at the lower end about 2" from the end.
The last one broke as he was fixing to leave my house and he ended using my spare cable to get home and we ordered me a new one.

I have a 07 LT with 27K and still on the original cable but do have a extra that I carry with me on trips.

Strange how some last a long time and other don't and also at the different locations that they break.

·
Registered
560 Posts
clutch cable

Mine blew at 17k, 2007 classic lt.... Was fortunate enough to be riding it shifting and felt it starting to let go.... Frayed at the clutch handle end,,, up top...Was able to get home b4 it gave way completely..... Bought 2 cables just as yourself and carry the spare along with me...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got my replacement yesterday instead of Monday (which was the original delivery date). Was really hating not being able to enjoy one of the last nice weekends for a while. Just waiting on my spare now and until then I will be a bit paranoid. LOL

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I have a 07 LT with 27K and still on the original cable but do have a extra that I carry with me on trips.

Strange how some last a long time and other don't and also at the different locations that they break.
Much like the Cheap Sunglass Phenomenom, the ratio of component failure is inversely proportional to that of carrying spare parts. If you are ready for an emergency it will never happen, the parts will last forever and you will kik yorself for having wasted good money and space with all this extra crap.
Contrawise, should you go blissfully negligent down the road w/o a thought or care for watt mite occur, be assured it will.

I carry spare gas can (full) in my truk shuld I ever run out. I never do. but I sure meet a lot of folks who dont carry one and just seem to run out of the go juice most everywhere.. go figur? poncho

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine went out as I was pulling into the last stop on a charity run. One of the guys I was riding with got a buddy to bring his truck to tow me home (only paid $30 instead of the $80-something the tow company was gonna charge since I live on the opposite end of town). This was somewhere around the 14k mark. I was down for about a week before I got the new cable. Ordered a stainless steel Barnett clutch from www.phatperformanceparts.com for only $20 more (including shipping) than the Barnett website charges for their standard black cable. Still need to go back to phat performance for their stainless throttle cables (only about $110 if I remember correctly for the set) though for the uniform look. Was also going to order a standard OEM clutch cable just to have as a back up.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Getting towed sucks, had to do it this summer due to a bad rectifier/regulator eating my batteries. Fortunately I had just signed up for ROK, the guys on the Delphi forum had recommended. Best $20 i ever spent. Covers towing up to 250 miles, and the basic roadside assistance for a year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Soooo....what is ROK? More info for the benefit of the group please :)

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Riders of Kawasaki. If you do a quick Google search it should pop up. Earlier in the year they had a $10 off promo code on the Delphi forum. They send you a waterproof case for your paperwork, membership cards, and a years subscription to Accelerate (Kawasaki event magazine). I broke down before i had received my welcome packet, had good timing, and a tie truck was sent right away to pick up my bike, no charge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Riders of Kawasaki. If you do a quick Google search it should pop up. Earlier in the year they had a $10 off promo code on the Delphi forum. They send you a waterproof case for your paperwork, membership cards, and a years subscription to Accelerate (Kawasaki event magazine). I broke down before i had received my welcome packet, had good timing, and a tie truck was sent right away to pick up my bike, no charge.
Definitely will be looking into that...never know when you'll need it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts