Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repalced my clutch cable last fall. I have ridden less than a 1000 miles and it broke again. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Does anyone know of a decent replacement other than going to the dealer?

Thanhs

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The cables that broke have been OEM cables or aftermarket cables, I presume at least the first one was OEM but what about the others?

They're getting frayed, or?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Where is it breaking? If you know that you should be able to find the problem. The only bike I had this problem on turned out to have a worn caliper that was dragging the cable over a sharp edge. My 9er still has the original @ 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have 53,000 with my original cable with no issues other than a tighter adjustment now and then.It's rubbing on something or in a bind somewhere. Like SteveJB said,see where its breaking at and look in that area for the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They both frayed at the end at the connection and both were OEM. I guess it is possible they may have been defective. I ordered a new OEM today. When I pick it up I will order an extra to keep in the saddle bag.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Maybe you've gone through it all already, but if they're frayed they must be rubbing abnormally on something in the vicinity of the frayed area. Just doesn't happen for no reason and doesn't seem to be a common issue at such low amount of use. That tends to point to something on your bike, not a problem with the cable per se.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd take a look at the screw adjusters for the cable, if that's the area where it's fraying. Sometime they can have a burr where the cable slids back and forth. Just need to file this area smooth.

·
Registered
252 Posts
you were not specific about which end of the cable is giving you problems. I snapped one on my 2010 at the connection on the right side of under the engine. The barb pretty much just snapped off, that was at approximately 6000 miles. Replaced it with an OEM replacement and haven't had a problem with the new one yet, I am at 11000 miles right now. I assumed my problem was a faulty cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts