Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I let my bike sit up for a few months and had some starting issues. Bought a new battery, pulled the carbs off and gave em a good thorough clean. Bike now purrs like a brand new one... Queue my issues, while in first gear, I?m stalling every time (not a riding error). After about 5 stalls, it decides to ride well. I didn?t have a chance to adjust the clutch cable, but that?s not the biggest issue i?m facing.

The biggest issue is that my shifter is extremely loose. I took the footpeg off and checked to see if my lever was loose. Everything seems to be fine. When I shift down into first, if i shift too hard the shifter get stuck facing the ground and doesn?t come back up unless I kick it from under the footpeg. What could be the problem here?

Edit: It is a 94 500

·
Registered
239 Posts
1994 Kawasaki VULCAN 500 (EN500-A5) Gear Change Mechanism | Ron Ayers
and
1994 Kawasaki VULCAN 500 (EN500-A5) Engine Covers | Ron Ayers

take a look at these 2 fiche pages, very likely a weak or broken "shift shaft return spring" within the (inner) gear change mechanism , note there are 2 springs. But very likely part # 92144

removal of the "gear change cover" is necessary to access...I'd suggest to have a new gasket and shift shaft seal on hand before repair attempt. The 2 springs are under $6 each...have them in hand and you'll knock the repair off in 1 sitting.

I just went through *identical* issue with my '95 Ducati SS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the shifter getting stuck problem - for me I took the foot peg, lever and the shift rod off so I could remove the splined shaft that runs through the engine casing.

I cleaned and greased that shaft and it now doesn't get stuck bottomed out.

The stalling thing sounds like sticking clutch plates (if it's stalling as soon as you put it in gear?) A bit of use will solve that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Adjusting your clutch cable may help you adjust where the friction zone is. Perhaps a bit of sitting in a parking lot getting used to where your friction zone is, after you adjust your cable is in order. I need to do this same thing. I have a mile of travel in my lever before I hit the friction zone.

If you're not sure how old the oil is, an oil change might help as well. These are wet clutches, sharing the engine oil. If it has set and there's sludge in the oil that's gotten over the clutch plates it could cause them to stick as well. But a good ride with a lot of shifting up and down should help also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts