Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a 240 round trip a couple of weeks ago and on my way back I jumped down into 4th to get out of the way of a car and noticed my bike had no power until I dropped the throttle a bit then the clutch finally caught. I figure worn friction plates. Even more curious though, for the second time (the first time I thought it was false neutral) I was cruising about 75 then my bike jumped out of gear for about 1 second the popped back in. It hailed one more time then not again. Any ideas if that would be clutch related or gear related?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
clutch plates are not the problem, it's the clutch cable adjustment, there's a nice harley-davidson clutch cable adjustment method on youtube that could be helpful for you, there's a right and wrong way of doing this

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
37k miles. Nee clutch cable. Put 3k miles in no problems after bar swap. 1/8 in freeplay on clutch handle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. Fat fingered. New* clutch cable. And 5th gear. Id be cruising and the transmission would lightly pop the engine would rev the tranny would pop one more time and re-engage

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Ok, just wanted to be clear on the problem. A clutch or cable will not cause it to jump out of gear.

A couple more questions:

1. How long have you owned?
2. Any other issues, no matter how unrelated to this?
3. You changed the cable because of a bar swap?
4. Would it jump out under heavy load or light throttle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was cruising at about 70-75 for a long while so I can't say heavy load. I've had 4th slip while trying to down shift from 5th to pass a car. I've owned for 9 months I did a 433mi ride after bar swap 5 months ago and had no issues. And yes. I swapped stock cable to put 12" mini apes on.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, the first thing would be to check all external shift linkages for wear, bent, binds, lube and out of adjustment.
Linkage can cause incomplete shifts and the jumping out as you describe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts