Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 900 custom, I've never had any problems with my clutch but I'm thinking I should probably open it up and inspect it. I am noticing that my clutch lever is almost completely released before it's fully engaged. Is there any adjustment in these clutches or the clutch cables that will rectify this?
Any info is good info, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Most likely the clutch cable is stretched out quite a bit. A new cable would be a good idea (I'm planning on replacing my '07 cable this year - before it breaks). However, there are three places to adjust the tension to accomodate stretch.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely the clutch cable is stretched out quite a bit. A new cable would be a good idea (I'm planning on replacing my '07 cable this year - before it breaks). However, there are three places to adjust the tension to accomodate stretch.
There is very little actual "free play" in the clutch lever. I was under the impression that there is supposed to be some "free play" at the clutch lever for it to work properly. If simply just tighten the cable, won't that just start disengaging the clutch????

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, over tightening the cable will not allow the clutch to fully engauge. On my '07 Custom (31,000+ miles : Original Clutch & Cable), when the lever free play is adjusted to spec, the clutch fully releases at about 1/3 of the way in as I pull the lever. It wll start to slip and be disengaged enough to shift pulling the lever about 1/2 inch. When I'm stopped, and start to release the lever, I hit the friction point more than half way out. It's been that way since day one. The first image I posted shows the correct amount of free play in the clutch lever. That's an excerpt from the '06 Service Manual. The reason I posted those pics for you is that you specifically asked it the cable can be adjusted. Without the manual, most people wouldn't be aware of the center adjusting nuts. I have to assume that the engineers expected a lot of cable stretch if they supplied 3 ways to take up the slack. If you add slack, the clutch will be engaged sooner, but the lever will be loose and you may not be fully disengaging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts