Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My buddy just bought an 2012 Vaquero with 10k miles on board. First thing that I noticed was the clunky shifting.
I, personaly, own an VN800A (1995) and an Yamaha Raider (2008), but they, both, have a very smoot shifting, compared with the Vaquero.

Thinking that changing the oil grade from recommended 10W, to 15W, or even 20W, will reduce this noise. We usualy drive when outside temp is about 70 - 95 F, so according to the chart from service manual, we can use 15W or 20W.
Do you see any risk, using 15W, 20W ? How the lubrification is affected using 15W, 20W ? or any other drawback you can see....

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
He can change the oil, but it won't make the clunky shifting go away. That's normal for the 1700's transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Normal. 1700 engine with a large transmission. It is clunky.

That being said, I recently changed to Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w 40 and was pleasantly surprised. Even the my girl mentioned it was smoother. Still clunky in the shorter gears but could really notice much smoother in the longer gears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree with other posts. It is normal for it to be clunky. Loudest clunk for me is shifting from Nuetral down into 1st. As mentioned it is clunkier in the lower gears and smooths our in higher gears. I have 50,000 miles on my bike and it’s always been this way and I don’t expect anything to change. I’ve always used 10W-40 weight oil as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Agree with other posts. It is normal for it to be clunky. Loudest clunk for me is shifting from Nuetral down into 1st. As mentioned it is clunkier in the lower gears and smooths our in higher gears. I have 50,000 miles on my bike and it’s always been this way and I don’t expect anything to change. I’ve always used 10W-40 weight oil as well.
The gears on the later bikes were cut differently apparently, and shift slightly quieter... My '10 is very loud, it was a left-over '09 first model year bike.

But that noisy shift from neutral to first can be entirely quiet, if you simply keep the clutch pulled in for a few more seconds before you toe the gear lever down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies.

So, nothing spectacular to do, for noise reduction.
Still think that using 15W instead 10W will help a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you put slight pressure on the shifter (like you’re going to shift) just before you pull clutch in, then pull clutch in and shift with some authority, it should shift without the clunk. It’s common on a lot of bikes. Not sure why a lot of bikes do this, but I remember growing up with dirt bikes, I’ve always shifted that way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, will try this tips also,but still think that using an 15W instead 10W will reduce a bit the noise when shifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts