Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when i am in first and slowly release the clutch there is a clunk from underneath the bike, it doesnt happen all the time though, and its only in first. Is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Did the noise just start one day, or?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, its a 2008 custom, owned it for 2.5 years, has about 13,000kms on it.

The noise is new, keep in mind that I am a newish rider so i may not have noticed as I was very much focused on staying alive and not stalling. hahaha.

i may be wrong but i feel like it happens more frequently if i engine brake to a complete stop - and then when i go to get started again its the clunk noise when i release the clutch. it not overly loud but is noticeable and doesnt happen all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda, i only heard it one today despite my efforts. the sound is similar to the sound when you put the bike into 1st, except about only 25% of the volume.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
It could be worn drive pulley splines/worn output shaft splines/or both.
Take a real close look around the front pulley area to see if you can spot a fine rust colored powder any place in and around there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have experienced something similar, the same clunk as when shifting to the first gear only not as loud and it's also accompanied with a small 'jolt' felt in the handlebars. It feels like something is locking in place in the transmission so to speak. I'm pretty sure it comes from the lower left side of the bike. In my case it's been like this since day one and it does it all the time as follows: come to a complete stop in neutral, put it in first, slow clutch release, i hear the clunk -before the clutch starts to grip. If i were to put it in neutral again then drop it to first, slow release, clunk again... neutral, first, etc all day long... The mechanics checked it under warranty and said it was fine. I don't recall if they offered and explanation for the clunking. I am curious what's actually happening...

in my case it is actually the same sound as when downshifting all the way down thru the gears on a complete stop. in order to shift thru the gears the bike has to be moving (it's the nature of the gearbox) but with the engine running one can downshift all the way to first gear (without moving) if the clutch is released just enough to produce that clunk, pulled in again and then downshift, repeat for all gears.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have experienced something similar, the same clunk as when shifting to the first gear only not as loud and it's also accompanied with a small 'jolt' felt in the handlebars. It feels like something is locking in place in the transmission so to speak. I'm pretty sure it comes from the lower left side of the bike. In my case it's been like this since day one and it does it all the time as follows: come to a complete stop in neutral, put it in first, slow clutch release, i hear the clunk -before the clutch starts to grip. If i were to put it in neutral again then drop it to first, slow release, clunk again... neutral, first, etc all day long... The mechanics checked it under warranty and said it was fine. I don't recall if they offered and explanation for the clunking. I am curious what's actually happening...

in my case it is actually the same sound as when downshifting all the way down thru the gears on a complete stop. in order to shift thru the gears the bike has to be moving (it's the nature of the gearbox) but with the engine running one can downshift all the way to first gear (without moving) if the clutch is released just enough to produce that clunk, pulled in again and then downshift, repeat for all gears.
Thanks I will check that out later to see if I can reproduce the noise in the manner that you have laid out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could be worn drive pulley splines/worn output shaft splines/or both.
Take a real close look around the front pulley area to see if you can spot a fine rust colored powder any place in and around there.
Thank you! I will check it out in a couple of weeks when I am back from my vacay!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just found out what is causing the clunk in my case: it's the shift lever assembly rocking left and right.
I recognized the sound as I leaned on the lever while strapping some wires to the frame.
I've heard that many times, never made the connection... anyways, take @sfair advice and check the pulley. not a difficult task.

video/sound:
https://youtu.be/05E0eeSQfKY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts