Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I think I did a pretty exhaustive search and didn't see this topic posted, so it it has already been covered elsewhere - sorry about that.

I've got a 2009 VN900 Classic LT. Just recently noticed a clunking sound when going over some bumps. It sounds like something is loose. No rattle. Simply a clunk. Definitely up front, either right under front of the tank or somewhere up by the front forks.

I've checked all the bolts and nothing is loose. Windshield, front fender, triple tree, radiator, regulator, tank, etc. Can't find anything.

Googled and found another site where someone else was complaining of the same thing on their 2006 VN900; but no answers.

Anyone else experience this noise?

·
Registered
742 Posts
my clunk is from the mono-shock bottoming out... if yours is in the front, the forks could be doing the same thing if one has failed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose clutch lever. Although the tension was good, it would rattle up and down in the housing over the bumps. Haven't done anything about it yet except to live with it. But, if I keep a finger on the lever over the bumps, no rattle anywhere from the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will check both!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had the same thing... went nuts checking everything including jacking up the front end to test the bearings....

Got feed up an pulled the hard bags... it was a loose bolt on the REAR crashbars and the saddlebag frame. Drove me nuts for weeks.. Found a loose allen head bolt.. torqued the bugger down and no Clunk...

Suggestion: Check the back too. there may be something in the rear... I too swore it was up front....

OH Yea... check to see if there are some wires in the headlight Bowl clunking around... Mine had an adapter for the electrical system in there.. it was hitting the light bowl.... moved it to the middle of the wires and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How would one go about checking the shocks? When I sit on the bike and hold the front brake (so it doesn't roll) and push down on the forks they rebound nicely, no extra bounce. When I 'jump' up and down on the seat it does the same, but it makes a chuffing sound like air being expelled from a fat man when you jump on his belly. I hear some noise when I hit bumps, and can't tell if it is one of the many accessories or not. Could the noise be the rear mono-shock?

·
Registered
28 Posts
clunking

I had the same issue and found two things. First was the front fender rail (show chrome) that was contacting the front fender over harsh bumps. insulated that and most noise went away but also noyiced a slight weeping from the front wheel hub seals. Went to dealer to have replaced under warranty and they told mme they have seen quite alot of failures of the seals. Since replacing the seals and front bearings no more noise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I too thought the head tube bearings were too loose. I have finally, after 9000 miles, come to believe it is another "Kawacincracy". Sort of like the marbles in a soup can noise at highway speed, or all those clicks the AIR system makes. These seem to be just part of the model - I think some of those sounds get telegraphed up behind the windsheild, so it's real hard to pinpoint them - just think what it would sound like without the tank!!!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I too thought the head tube bearings were too loose. I have finally, after 9000 miles, come to believe it is another "Kawacincracy". Sort of like the marbles in a soup can noise at highway speed, or all those clicks the AIR system makes. These seem to be just part of the model - I think some of those sounds get telegraphed up behind the windsheild, so it's real hard to pinpoint them - just think what it would sound like without the tank!!!
VERY quiet.:p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after some test runs on bumpy roads, I was convinced it was my speakers installed on the windshield; but after tightening all that down, I'm still hearing it. Thank you for all the suggestions. When I get home tonight I will check the headlight and saddlebags!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mine makes a little noise too when I brake...haven't noticed it on bumps. I actually found one of the front caliper bolts missing...yeah, just GONE. I replaced it, but I still here a little, faint "thunk" every once in a while. Doesn't even seem to be coming from the front.

I've also notice the front hub weeping a little. I wipe it off and it takes weeks for buildup to appear, but appear it does. Hoping it's all nothing serious. Don't want my bike to spend weeks in the shop while there's still good riding weather :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same sharp "Clunk " when the front wheel hits a bump. I did notice the
clutch lever is loose in the housing so that could be a possibility. Everything else
seems tight, I've just been living with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got a 2009 VN900 Classic LT. Just recently noticed a clunking sound when going over some bumps. It sounds like something is loose. No rattle. Simply a clunk. Definitely up front, either right under front of the tank or somewhere up by the front forks.

I've checked all the bolts and nothing is loose. Windshield, front fender, triple tree, radiator, regulator, tank, etc. Can't find anything.

Really good question...I thought it was just my bike. I too have a 2009 classic and I swear it's coming from the front. I saw a youtube vid that showed the bikes get to the dealers crated. And the forks and handle bars have to be assembled by the dealers service dept. I figured I was dealing with a loose triple tree or tank. But not so, Its annoying to think theres something wrong that could potentially get worse. Although I have been just living with it And that unreal uncomfortable seat. other than that... Great bike!
As far as the seat, money can make that go away ( Toooo much if ya ask me ) But this loose or whatever, is something I like to narrow down...thanks for getting this inquest out

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I had mine up on jacks and stands yesterday morning checking EVERYTHING. Did find a motor mount quite a bit loose, but after a total shakedown of all moving parts, I couldn't find anything that felt loose.

Like I said before, I'm not about let it sit at the dealer (which is usually about 35 ATVs and dirt bikes deep in backed up service whenever I call) for half the rest of the season, so I guess I'll just pretend it's not doing it until it gets worse. And everthing that could could come apart and cause me to end up wearing the bike instead of riding it has been double- and triple-checked.

to the OP and others who've got similar funny noise concerns, I'll post back if I discover anything...or if I go rubber-side-up. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts