Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m posting from my ER bed, struggling to type. I was on my way to pick up medication for my dog and an online order. Nice enough day for a ride, so I took my bike. A car pulled into a gas station, and as I passed changed their mind and pulled out, cutting me off. I hit my brakes, the car clipped my front wheel. My bike flipped forward, I was thrown hard to the ground on my right side. Helmet saved me from a smashed brain box, gloves saved my hands, leather saved my hide. I did break my right clavicle, shoulder blade, and most of my right ribs are fractured in my back. No punctured organs, a little road rash on my right knee. Waiting to find out if I am getting surgery or if I’m getting my right arm immobilized for a few weeks for things to heal.

Bike looked scuffed, one bag shattered, I think it’s mostly good. I’ll find out when I talk to insurance.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you @SteveJB … waiting to find out if I go to surgery still.

just got a bike update. It’s home, and the damage appears mostly cosmetic. The left bag is gone. It shattered, across the road. (Like my shoulder.) So I’m going bagless until insurance is squared. Need a new helmet. I like MIPS, I didn’t even go out when I hit, no concussion signs. I even noticed a sharp the emt dropped when they were putting the IV in. I also caught the broken clavicle while roadside. Saved some grinding taking the jacket off.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They didn't sling my shoulder correctly in the ER, so it started drifting. Urgent care yesterday, I'm slung correctly and arm is immobilized better. They also didn't scrub my road rash, so that was on me to do...

Insurance company said "sounds like the bike might be totaled," when I told them about the damage. Only damage to the bike is the engine guard, ding on the front rim, chipped reflector, and the aftermarket locking hard bags. They haven't actually inspected it... They'll come out to my place to do that, some time this week.

I don't think there's anything I could have done differently to further mitigate or avoid accident or injury. I geared up, I watched all the vehicles, I slowed and waited for the car to turn in. They did a swerve in the entrance and just pulled out without a signal or other indication. I swerved out, to miss being side swiped, they kept coming into the lane. I braked and clutched, I couldn't swerve further because of oncoming cars. They just caught my tire/fork with enough force to chip my reflector and throw my bike with their back bumper. It turned the wheel hard left in a countersteer, My bike threw me down to the right slid for a second and flipped, the car took off. Accelerating wasn't an option because of the angle they pulled out at, Would have caught the front of their car with a bag or hit the beginning of the medium, if I cleared the car.

Sorry to hear about the incident, hope for a speedy recovery. Glad you had decent gear on and it wasn't even worse
The way my helmet hit, it would have been my last ride if I wasn’t wearing it. The ambulance wouldn't have taken me to the ER. It reinforces my belief in helmets! And proved to me that MIPS works. The helmet twisted, my head didn't, neither did my brain. I watched and experienced the whole wreck, no unconsciousness, no concussion. Watching my visor and vents explode as I hit the ground, and then seeing the helmet really brought it home. Hospital security guard took pictures of my helmet. It was a Bell full face with auto darkening/UV shield, DOT/ECE certified, with MIPS protection, and neck protector. My gloves were AStar short gauntlet style all weather with knuckle guards. They protected my wrists and hands.

Real bummer. Main thing is you. Follow doctors instructions and get well. Bikes can be fixed, we sometimes don't fix so well. Keep us informed.
It sucked. These days I always follow my doctor's orders to the letter, I'm working on getting in to see my PCP and regular orthopedic doctor this coming week. I'll definitely keep y'all updated!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast.
Thank you. Next 10 days will be miserable. Then 6 weeks of frustrating slow healing and shoulder rehab. The risk we take for the freedom we enjoy on our bikes. Riding smart and safe minimizes that risk. Everyone, from the cops to the witnesses were amazed I was alive and coherent. It was situational awareness that kept me able to be situationally aware.

· Administrator "Loose Nut"
Bandera, Texas
2,289 Posts
I went down this past winter. All ended well and hopefully yours will. Here's the thread of my get off.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wipe out. Cagers will always be the biggest hazard to those of us on 2 wheels.
Dont be surprised if the insurance totals the bike there may be more damage than you have noticed and they go by what the stealership will charge to fix it so if it totals to half of the bikes value they will total it out.
Rest up and heal up it suck that you got smashed but bikes can be replaced people cant.

· Registered
823 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wipe out. Cagers will always be the biggest hazard to those of us on 2 wheels.
Dont be surprised if the insurance totals the bike there may be more damage than you have noticed and they go by what the stealership will charge to fix it so if it totals to half of the bikes value they will total it out.
Rest up and heal up it suck that you got smashed but bikes can be replaced people cant.
Yes, Plee911 was absolutely right about the insurance company's. If you really like your ride,,call the insurance company and let them know you want to Keep your bike. That's exactly what I had to do when I had to lay my bike down because of an Anal Moron in a cage.......

· Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
370 Posts
Glad to hear you are able to heal up. You take care.
I have replaced several bikes since my accident, the biggest problem is that I have never found a pair of boots that prefect for me since, 35 years and still looking.
It was a cager that choose to run a red light.
Will be glad to hear how you recover and ride again. Keep up the rehab.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a chance to actually read the medical reports, and I understand why my shoulder drifted. Both my scapula and my clavicle are broken in 2 places, and I've got "clean and easily read" fractures in ribs 3 - 5. They should have operated on my clavicle Friday night, but the orthopedic staff was mostly out for Thanksgiving... The resident made a call, ordered me slung. They called today, they can "get me in, in 2 weeks."

I called a different orthopedic practice, they have a fracture surgery clinic that'll see me Thursday.

My poor baby:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

I gotta get pictures of my gear.

Glad your still with us. Heal up man!
Thank you. I've got appointments scheduled to get an assist healing!

Glad your in 1 peice-Hope you heal Well:)
Thank you! Yeah, I'm a bit tilted, but no "compound" fractures. I'm getting sorted.

I went down this past winter. All ended well and hopefully yours will. Here's the thread of my get off.

I finished reading that thread. That was a rough exit. Ice doesn't play. It looked like you hot lucky, as well. Glad you're ok! Definitely glad you didn't break your scapula, it's a pain in the back. Have you healed up?

Did you ever replace your bike? It sucks that they totaled yours. That was some serious damage, though!

That's the second cager in the last 15 years that just pulled out in front of me and caused an accident. The first one wound up seeing me as they were crossing a highway, freezing, and stopping in my lane. This one pulled out, just clipped me and kept going.

I looked at the claim online today. It looks like the person that took my statement didn't document the damage correctly. They added front forks and factory bags. I think the forks might total the bike for safety because the triple tree and actual frame neck comes into play, like frame or swing arm damage. It was just the reflector on the right fork, where the car's plastic bumper hit it as it pulled into the lane and sped away No actual fork damage, not even any misalignment. It looks like the only damage is the guard, bags, rim from when it flipped down, that reflector, and the levers got scuffed in the slide. It was low speed, 25-28 mph, The broken bags took the brunt of it.

I'll definitely be resting! I have a visit with my primary's supervisor on Wednesday... And a visit with my primary in February. My PCP signed off on my handicap plate on one condition "no accidents!"

· Administrator "Loose Nut"
Bandera, Texas
2,289 Posts
Yes, I healed well physically. Now mentally, that's a different story, never had all smarts I wanted and wreck didn't add any. :unsure:

Got a temp bike pretty quickly, Guess it's temp, still have it.

Then only resenty bought my permanent two up ride after deciding what was best for wife and I.

Make sure you take time and heal. The healing time will seem to slow, but in the future you will thank yourself when everything is working.

If insurance company does total, I've got a few pointers on how to maximize the settlement on bike, just let me know.

· Registered
823 Posts
Yes, I healed well physically. Now mentally, that's a different story, never had all smarts I wanted and wreck didn't add any. :unsure:

Got a temp bike pretty quickly, Guess it's temp, still have it.

Then only resenty bought my permanent two up ride after deciding what was best for wife and I.

Make sure you take time and heal. The healing time will seem to slow, but in the future you will thank yourself when everything is working.

If insurance company does total, I've got a few pointers on how to maximize the settlement on bike, just let me know.
I don't see why they'd total :cool:(y)that bike,does'nt look that bad to me. Hope All works out for you and the bike:) Now Please get to some healing:)

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I have bought a couple of vehicles both cars and bikes from the insurance when they wanted to total them. If your mechanical and the damage isn't that bad then it can be worth it.
If frame is bent or there is damage at the neck then you would be better off letting them pay you out. Some times its hard to see all the damage right off. The bike needs to be gone over carefully and all areas inspected to make sure all damage is known.
It also comes down to how attached you are to the bike for me i wouldn't let mine go with out a fight unless there was catastrophic damage but for others its just a bike.

At the end of the day your still here and your family still gets to sit with you for the holidays and that alone is worth more than any thing the insurance could offer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts