Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys! I have been reading this forum for a long time and I have learned so much from it, but this is actually my first post.

I have a 08 Vulcan 900 and recently installed Cobra speedster shorts, fi2000, and Barons BAK. I installed the pipes and fuel controller a couple weeks before I installed the new air cleaner. Here is my question:

Ever since I installed the Barons air cleaner, I have noticed a random clicking sound while the bike is idling. The sound seems to be coming from somewhere within the reed valve assembly.. maybe the vacuum switching valve? It is the same click that you hear when you release the throttle. I know it is normal to hear it when releasing the throttle, but should I be hearing it during idle with no throttle? I guess it could have been there before, but I just really noticed it after BAK install. If anyone could shed some light on this I would much appreciate it!

On a side note, I am planning to "marble" the bike to reduce/eliminate popping on deceleration... will doing this eliminate the reed valve and the clicking sound?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Marbling is eliminating the Clean Air Systems vacuum valve and reeds. The clicking may be the idle solenoids in the right air box. I don't believe the reed valves click, but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi......Yes that is normal.......That is the air injection valves 4 the fuel injection system....On the right side....This sound becomes more noticeable after u install the BAK......Not 2 worry........hope this helps.....Terry.......:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys..

One other question... When I do marble the reed valve system, will that eliminate the clicking sound? I guess in the grande scheme it really doesnt matter, I am just curious. I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff, so I'm just learning as I go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi.....not sure if u saw this it may help......www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm .......Terry.....:)
Wow, that is a very informative webpage.. Thanks for the link.

So let me make sure I have this correct... on the 900 all I would need to do is remove the hose from the back of the air cleaner backing plate that leads to the reed valve assembly, put a marble in it, and reattach the hose. Is it that simple or am I missing something?

·
Registered
137 Posts
nope.that's about it.......simple is as simple does

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
On my bike (1500) you don't have to remove the hose...just loosen the right solenoid (or valve) and move it to the side and plug up the hose that protrudes through the upper rear of the assembly. This will not eliminate the clicking. If you go to an auto store they have an assortment of vacuum hose plugs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the BAK and don't have a clicking at idle. If you're using 20-50 oil that could be the cases. I once did and went back to 10-40 for that same reason. The BAK does inclease the engine noise but usually at high speeds. I do recomend to marble the bike. I did on mine and it actually sounds better after you marble it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts