Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So, I got my Clearview shield last night and put it on the Vaquero.

I got the 'Large' Sized Shield, In Light Grey Tint, with the vent. I had a few concerns before I received it. I was concerned about the size. I thought well, maybe I should have ordered a smaller - or a larger. I was concerned about the tint. I didn't want it to be too dark, especially for night riding. I never had a shield with a vent before, so I had reservations about that.

Now that I have it on, however - the size is perfect. Clearview has some pretty good tips for ordering the right size shield, and it worked for me. Prior to this, I had a habit of slouching. I've got some bad discs, so this is no doubt causing me some unnecessary pain. It's a lot more comfortable now. I find myself sitting up straight instead of slouching down.

The tint color is perfect. It's not too dark. It's easy to see through. I haven't ridden at night yet with it, but I see no problems.

I haven't used the vent in the open position yet, but it seems to be of good construction and worked just fine in the closed position.

First thing I noticed when I put the shield on - and this was before I even jumped on the bike - the radio seemed louder. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe it's the shape of the shield. Maybe I cleaned my ears out this morning. It just seems louder, even on the highway.

On the negative side, I'm not a huge fan of how they did the bottom of the shield. You know how on the stock Vaquero shields it has that black plastic piece that covers the bottom where you put the screws through? Their solution was to replace that with what I assume is a vinyl sticker. Don't get me wrong, it works - I'm just not a huge fan of it. This is saying it a little harshly, but I think it gives an otherwise quality shield a 'cheap' look.

That's all I've got to say about it right now. I'd buy another.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the update, I have mine on order and it's in production.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So lunatic are the shields recurved up at the top like I've herd and do you feel it pushes the air up any more? Being 6'2" I have the 14" Ceebailys and I still catch the air in the forehead. It sounds like the LRG clearview would be just perfect hearing it said that the LRG one was a bit taller than 14" ceebaily and with the recurve top would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I had the clearview tall light gray with vent on my Venture... Best windshield I ever had.... When I need to replace the one on the Voyager I will get one then.

But without the vent. It dod not provide any better air flow cooling, but it did let rain come through it and get your chest wet, let small rocks through and hit your chest, bugs, birds, or anything else that hit the vent. LOTS of bug gut splat.....

When it is closed, it is not really closed...... to me and the other two Venture owners with it... it was a waste of 50 bucks add on. We did not like it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks Bubba, you confirmed what I was thinking about the vent. I was going to get the vent but at the last minute passed on it, looks like I made a good decision per your report.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had one on my 2009 Venture. It was a great quality windshield, the company is awesome to work with but I didn't like the recurve feature. I felt it distorted my view in curves. If I get one for my Voyager, I'll order it without the recurve feature.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So lunatic are the shields recurved up at the top like I've herd and do you feel it pushes the air up any more? Being 6'2" I have the 14" Ceebailys and I still catch the air in the forehead. It sounds like the LRG clearview would be just perfect hearing it said that the LRG one was a bit taller than 14" ceebaily and with the recurve top would be perfect.
Mine was not recurved. Here's a better picture attached. I'm not sure if having it recurved at the top is an option that I missed or not.

If it was, I probably would have passed on having it recurved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But without the vent. It dod not provide any better air flow cooling, but it did let rain come through it and get your chest wet, let small rocks through and hit your chest, bugs, birds, or anything else that hit the vent. LOTS of bug gut splat.....
I've had no problem with debri flying through the vent thus far. I've ridden through a light to moderate shower with the vent partially open, and while I didn't notice any problems, I wasn't looking for one also. I'll be more aware the next rain shower - maybe this afternoon if the newsman is right.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one on my 2009 Venture. It was a great quality windshield, the company is awesome to work with but I didn't like the recurve feature. I felt it distorted my view in curves. If I get one for my Voyager, I'll order it without the recurve feature.
When I received it, I was actually glad it wasn't recurved for just that reason. The top is the perfect height and if it was curved I think it would be too much of a distraction for me.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I had a re curve on my 400 Yamaha Majesty. I am 6-2 and it really worked well for that low steep angled windshield. Don't know about one that is almost straight up an down like the Voyager. (or feels like it is straight up and down anyway)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Love my dark tinted Wind Vest shield because not only do I just see over it and not through it, but the Recurve on it pushes the air another 3 inches up above the windshields 10" height. That is why I prefer a recurved shield after trying 3 other non-recurved in various heights.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I find my standard screen is just a bit short. I get wind noise and movement on my helmet and was thinking of going up a size in screen. My Voyager shield measures from the bottom of the chrome strip to the highest point at the top of the screen 18 inches. Reading the Clear View specs that is the large size. There is only the extra large at 19 inches left.

So I wonder if it will make enough difference to be worthwhile

But what about those with the Voyager?

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having ridden for a bit with this Clearview shield, I'm still perfectly happy with it. Some users have mentioned issues with the vent. I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain since the install, and haven't seen any vent issues.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Bought a 17" Clearview with a light gray tint, recurved at the top, with no vent. The stock Voyager shield was too tall, and I was always looking through it...hated that. I've been supremely happy with my Clearview, and the recurve pushes more wind over my head, which allows me to sit up straighter to look over the shield and not be bombarded with wind and debris.

Very happy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
320 Posts
I find my standard screen is just a bit short. I get wind noise and movement on my helmet and was thinking of going up a size in screen. My Voyager shield measures from the bottom of the chrome strip to the highest point at the top of the screen 18 inches. Reading the Clear View specs that is the large size. There is only the extra large at 19 inches left.

So I wonder if it will make enough difference to be worthwhile

But what about those with the Voyager?
Well I have ordered the extra large 19.5 inch for my Voyager and I am 6 foot 3.I usually, on all day rides ,throw an Air Hawk cushion on my seat for comfort and it sits me about an inch higher.I currently have a 18 inch high shield if you measure from the key switch,like Clearview measures thier shields they sell.It works pretty good with no cushion on my seat but a little wind noisy with the Air Hawk in use.I should have it in two weeks.I just notfication its gone into production.I ordered it almost a month ago.I f its too high I can always cut it down an inch from the bottom.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts