Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does everyone use to clean and maintain the appearance of their bikes? When I purchased my '07 Custom, it was littered with water marks which I haven't been able to get off. I've heard people use vinegar, but I haven't had any luck with it.

Also, what type of polishes/wax do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Lemon Pledge also works great when you don't have other specific cleaning products, and leaves that refreshing citrus aroma :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well when I first bought my bike I had it detailed professionally at my house and they use only Croftgate waterless products.
http://www.croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgateusa-products/multi-purpose-cleaners
They gave me some samples and it's nice stuff. Not as good as a hand wax but you can spray it on everything. I have also used S100 it is also super nice (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/988/30200/ITEM/S100-Detail---Wax.aspx) the downfall that I have found with the S100 is overspray. If you leave it and don't wipe it looks really bad so you really have to start from the top down. I have also tried Lucas Slick Mist Spray Detailer it works good but it streaks super easy. I would have to say for me so far it's the Croftgate. Now I will say I really want to try a product made by Autoglym Rapid Detailer which I am told is good. So there you go lol probably more info than you wanted but now you have it lol.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I use the same stuff I that I detail my cars with. Meguiar's car wash soap, and Meguiar's perfect shine wax. I do that ideally twice a month, with the Quick Detailer every week. Yeah, I like a shiny bike.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I use an automotive wash n wax (not particular about the brand, I think I have a turtle product at the moment). After drying I use Protect-all on everything. Mustang recommends it for their seats and when I bought it I found that can be used on pretty much any surface. It's a liquid carnuba wax and it does a great job on paint, chrome (plastic or metal), vinyl, leather, even clear plastic (speedo lens, lights, NOT the MS windshield). It's non-abrasive and can be rubbed out without any dry-time. A couple times a year I'll use Mother's Chrome Cleaner on the pipes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If it's really dirty and muddy I first wash and spray it down with a hose. The blow it dry immediately.

Otherwise I do all my cleaning maintainence with Armorall cleaning wipes on the frame and wheels and Pledge wipes on the rest. The Armorall wipes work great on brake dust on the wheels. Put it on the lift and spin the wheels as you go. Wipe dry with a cloth or it will streak.

The spray on Pledge works good for water marks on painted and chrome areas (windshield too after it's cleaned). For blacked out areas, engine etc, I use Harley Engine brightener, which is a similar product to Pig Snot. I spray it on and brush it in with a tooth brush and let it dry. Works wonders on water spots. Makes a blacked out engine look new again.

Every now and again I hit everything with a good car polish.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
For water spots I have been successful with white distilled vinegar, and elbow grease. Then I use Meguairs Ultra wax (it's a spray with no white residue). I'll use the was a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
273 Posts
cleaning bike

Not sure if anyone uses this besides me? I mix a dot of dish liquid with a capful of ammonia and a couple ounces of white vinegar in a bucket of warm water. With a rag dripping wet wipe down the complete bike, might have to do your shield a couple times to get all the bugs off. Same solution I use on my home windows, takes grime off in a flash. Best thing about it is you can let it dry on its own if you do it in the garage out of the sun. Works great and cheap too. I usually ride before it's completely dry and it dries faster.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Cleaning? Detailing? WTF is that? In the Spring (March/April) and Fall (Sept./Oct.) I stop at a self service car wash and pressure wash it. Air dry at 60mph. Otherwise, If there's time to "clean" there's time to ride. But then again, i've never been into the whole "shiny bobble" aspect of owning anything (cars or motorcycles). If it's safe and gets me from point A to point B so be it. Rust, Dirt & Grime equals character in my opinion. But as Romans5.8 is so fond of saying.....Too each their own.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Unless really dirty and requiring a full wash, I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. I keep it in a bug sprayer and mix about a gallon at a time. Spray on and wipe off. Use it on the car in the garage during winter too.

1 gallon bug sprayer full lasts me about 3 months when just using on the bike.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I use water/with a touch of simple green and a microfiber towel. I wash a section then dry it immediately with the microfiber towel to avoid water spots.

For tires I use Grape Dressing. You can mix to the shine you want and it doesn't fling off.
http://www.topoftheline.com/graptirdres.html

For seats and frame, I use 303 Aero Space Protectant. Stuff is like magic. If you have ever gotten wax somewhere you shouldn't plastic, etc..This stuff will make it look new again and lasts forever.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-303-32-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B004YJQE0S[/ame]

For chrome wheels and exhaust, I use SOS Pads.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Meguiars Quik Detailer works pretty good. I've started using that in-between washes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts