Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 900 classic.

1) Does anyone know if the black between the (fake) cooling fins is paint or powder coat?

2) How do you clean that area of your bike?

Im looking for something that will get in-between the fins better than my microfiber mit. I have used Q-tips before and while the results are good, that method is painfully slow.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Briggs & Stratton sells a small engine cleaner, smells and looks like Simple Green. I use it from a garden sprayer, but only on the engine and frame! Works good, even with cold water.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Always used wd40....sparingly...brings the black back.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I always liked that 'foamy engine bright' and a soft brush (old tooth brush).

Works good on the underside of the bike too, cuts all the nasty road grime out

·
Registered
68 Posts
i use

A small scrub brush when i wash mine in
this area as well as for the underneath. Just car wash soap and water. If you have spoked wheels, such as me, i use a bottle brush for them it works great!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's powder coated. High temp Paint will not hold up to scuffing much. I know the Harleys are powdered there for sure.

I use a product called Engine Brite. It's a silicone based product similar to Amorall. I bought it at the Harley Shop but I know it must be sold elsewhere under a simiilar premise and different name maybe.

First wash the bike if it's dirty. Then let it dry and if you still have spots or stains on your blacked parts, spray the Engine Brite on and brush it around with a tooth brush. The water spots and stain completely dissappeared on my old Harley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts