Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done this? I think that the mirrors and switches are ugly and would look so much better if they were gone. The mirrors can be taken off easily, but the switches are the hard part. I was thinking about relocating the bright switch somewhere else and I use hand signals instead of turn signals, so
I can just ditch that all together.

With the kill switch, can I just wire it to not have a kill switch? I never use it anyways. I just put the kickstand down or turn the key...

any ideas? I am going to ordering and installing mini-apes and would like to clean the bars up when I do it.

Thanks for any info,
Hayes

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i have chrome covers on all mine including the fluid reservoir, doesn't get rid of them but it cleans it up a lot

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've seen one person on here clean everything up really well and it was a custom that had a steelers theme to it.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have chrome covers on all mine including the fluid reservoir, doesn't get rid of them but it cleans it up a lot

That's an option, but completely clean bars would look good.

I've seen one person on here clean everything up really well and it was a custom that had a steelers theme to it.
Thanks, I will check that out when I get home.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but would like to offer some food for thought.

I'm currently running without turn signals, horn and headlight, due to an electrical problem. I have a light bar, which can replace the headlight, without high/low option. But, not having the turn signals really makes me nervous. Yesterday, I had a cager run right up on my tail, when I was making a right turn. He didn't seem to react to my hand signal, so I took the turn as fast as I could, to make sure that he didn't run over me. Of course, I wouldn't have known that he was coming, if I hadn't been watching my mirrors. :p

I seriously doubt that many people know the hand signals these days or pay attention to them, even if they do. I feel much more secure with the flashing turn signal than I do waving my arm around.... :skeleton:

As a consequence of the electrical problem, I've cut out pleasure riding until the problem is fixed. :(

If you really want to remove the stuff from the bars, my advice would be to relocate the controls to a place that you can easily reach. You have to take your hand off of the handlebars to do hand signals, so moving the switch to an easy reach location wouldn't be any extra safety hazard.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but would like to offer some food for thought.

I'm currently running without turn signals, horn and headlight, due to an electrical problem. I have a light bar, which can replace the headlight, without high/low option. But, not having the turn signals really makes me nervous. Yesterday, I had a cager run right up on my tail, when I was making a right turn. He didn't seem to react to my hand signal, so I took the turn as fast as I could, to make sure that he didn't run over me. Of course, I wouldn't have known that he was coming, if I hadn't been watching my mirrors. :p

I seriously doubt that many people know the hand signals these days or pay attention to them, even if they do. I feel much more secure with the flashing turn signal than I do waving my arm around.... :skeleton:

As a consequence of the electrical problem, I've cut out pleasure riding until the problem is fixed. :(

If you really want to remove the stuff from the bars, my advice would be to relocate the controls to a place that you can easily reach. You have to take your hand off of the handlebars to do hand signals, so moving the switch to an easy reach location wouldn't be any extra safety hazard.
I totally agree. Cagers do not pay much attention to hand signals. The kill switch is there for emergencys in case you need to cut the engine quick. Getting rid of all that just so it looks cleaner might really impede on your safety as well.
Just my opinion, its your bike of course and the choices you make are your own.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeahhhh...NO. While we love our freedom and all, we don't operate in a vacuum. Cagers are either texting, or don't know hand signals...

You could be paying a pretty high price.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that electrical turn signals are required on all vehicles in many jurisdictions now and hand signals aren't even used/legal for anything other than antique vehicles. State laws vary, but DOT approved electrical signals should be accepted everywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't remove the kill switch

You mentioned removing the kill switch.

The kill switch is not necessarily for you. It's typically used by someone who comes upon your wreck after you've been in accident- so they can turn your motorcycle off. They tend to look for an obvious neon yellow/red switch that says ON/OFF so they can turn it off for you. They want to access a safe part of the motorcycle instead of the burning hot or spinning parts. Also, if you crash on your left side then you're not going to let out the kickstand or turn the key. Best you might be able to do is slap the kill switch with your right hand or kick it with your foot. It's could be a bad idea to remove safety things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts