Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and I feel like I'm asking how many times you can use a condom... :p

New to me 2007 900 Classic LT. Went over the bike good last night, it's obvious it was well looked after.

Now, I'm not asking about the air filter to try and save a few bucks...legit question, and I don't want to run a dry filter when it's supposed to be oiled.

Looking at my filter, it looks like it's lightly oiled. It's catching dirt on the top of the ridges and the dirt is dark indicating that it's sitting on an oily surface.
And it's not dirty to the point that I'm worried about it, but as it's new to me, I want to service everything that I can, then I know that it's done, and know when it was done.

So, there was guy on YouTube that used K&N cleaner, and cleaned it as though it was a 'reuseable' filter, then dried it well, and back in it went. Naturally he got lots of comments that he was crazy for doing that, but...If it was a flimsy element made of tissue paper, I wouldn't be asking...but the filter medium seems really robust, and I can't see why it couldn't be washed, dried, and reused. If it's perfectly fine to properly clean and reuse, I'd rather do that than just chuck it in the landfill.

Does anyone do the lather/rinse/repeat thing? And if you do, does it go back in dry, or lightly oiled?
Anyone that's bought a new filter...do they come perfectly dry, or do they have a light oiling to them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after 3 days, nobody seems to have any advice, so I washed it out with K&N cleaner, rinsed it from the clean side and hung it in front of a fan for a couple days. Put it back in as is without oiling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's the OEM filter, not a K&N. I just had a leftover K&N service kit, so I used the cleaner from it to clean the OEM filter.
I was up in the air, then saw a few forum posts from people here that say they've always washed, dried, and reused the OEM air filter several times before replacing it...so I decided to go for it. Only thing was, none of them mentioned oiling it before reinstalling. That would lead me to believe that they're intended to be run dry.
I guess my main question would be: Does a new OEM filter have any light oil on them, or are they perfectly dry?

·
Registered
671 Posts
My 500 was to be the wash, clean, dry, re-oil/reuse type.
Took a look at it.
I said boo to that and went a bought a new one.
It not like a new one is ton of cash, and why reuse it?
I haven't reused one on any car I've had why do it on the bike!?!?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 900s are starved for air as it is (according to what Ivan told a friend of mine). Get a K&N and you'll be pleased at how much better it runs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I believe that they are "GCFishguy"
I have never tried to re-use one, I think it would work for a reduced time. That being said you will be better off replacing with a K&N, and opening up the air box some. The K&N filter will flow more than the 900 can take, the restriction is in the air box, after that Good Luck:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered a K&N on Amazon this afternoon. I'll run the stock one as if for a couple days until it arrives.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the stock, I don't think oil is a good idea. This is from the manual (1500 classic). It doesn't seem that cleaning solvents or oil would be good for the paper filter.

Element Cleaning and Inspection
NOTE

.In dusty areas, the element should be cleaned more

.After riding through rain or onmuddy roads, the element
should be cleaned immediately.

Remove the air cleaner element (see Element Removal).

Clean the element by tapping it lightly to loosen dust.

Blow away the remaining dust by applying compressed
air [A] from the inside to the outside (from the clean side
to the dirty side).

Visually check the element for no tears or no breaks and
check the sponge gasket also.
If the element or gasket has any tears or breaks, replace
the element.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I had figured it was intended to be a dry paper element, but then when i got it apart, any trapped dirt was dark and 'damp'..like what you'd find trapped on an oiled foam element...
Anyway washing it didn't degrade the filter material (visually), and it didn't turn to paper-mache and not flow because we did a 400km run yesterday and I averaged 51mpg.
Several other members have indicated they wash the OEM filters several times before replacing them, so I would say if you're in a pinch, and can't get a new one, washing and drying doesn't seem to have any ill effects. But as said, I ordered a K&N the other day, should get it the first of the week.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My Mean Streak 1600 filter is meant to be cleaned {not oiled} I clean it by using compressed air from inside out. also taping it to dialogue any dust. Back in the day of riding dirt bikes K N was the way to go some say they lit too much through but if I feel the need to change the stock filter I likely will buy KN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts