Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
What's the best way to get microfiber cloths clean? I've cleaned them 3 times and you can still feel the products I used on them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm interested in knowing too. So far I use the new ones on the wind shield, painted areas until dirty then eventually use them on chrome rims until they are totally dirty. I would love to recycle if possible.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
What's the best way to get microfiber cloths clean? I've cleaned them 3 times and you can still feel the products I used on them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have found that they don't clean well at all. I usually just buy new ones. They are pretty cheap. Have even tried the high temp sanitizing cycle on the electrolux washer, and, they still don't work like a new one. Hope someone has the secret for Us.
Shep

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I throw mine in the washer, HOT water soap and lots of bleach. They come out clean and ready to reuse. even the ones with a little oil on them come out clean.............................

No the bleach the bleach doesn't seem to bleed out the fancy colored ones. I also use a lot of cotton cloth diapers.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I put them into the washer with a little extra detergent and a little extra bleach and wash with hot water. They usually come out in very good condition so that I can use them once again.

:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I wash them with laundry detergent. Sometimes I take "Goop" hand cleaner and clean them, then throw them in the washing machine and wash them. I don't use fabric softener or anything like that in it. The only thing I was them with sometimes in my FR work clothes since you are not supposed to use fabric softener or bleach, or bleach alternative detergent with them.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Remember that it's not just about getting them clean, but keeping the 'clingness' so you can clean the bike without scratching it. Although my experience is, 99% of guys are wasting money with microfibers as they are dry-rubbing (wiping the bike down without spraying something down first), using dirty towels, or wiping the bike down with paper towels and stuff ANYWAY, so they are getting the micro-marring and stuff anyway. But if you are one of those nutjobs like me, you'll want to make sure they cling good so dust and dirt are carried away without being able to rub against the paint so you get that swirl-free finish.

This is a Porsche 997. On the left is what happens when you repeatedly rub and buff a car with terry cloths and paper towels, rub it dry, take it through the automatic car wash with brushes, and wash it using poor detergents and rags/towels/brushes, etc. On the right is what happens after those scratches are compounded off!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The only thing I use mine on is my windshield (that I only use during the cooler times of the year). And as for the paint on the bike, that is why I don't have a black bike. Silver hides it well :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The only thing I use mine on is my windshield. And as for the paint on the bike, that is why I don't have a black bike. Silver hides it well :D
Silver does hide defects well!

Nothing wrong with using a microfiber on paint; actually that's preffered. Just don't do it dry. Pledge, a waterless wash solution, or a quick detail spray to lubricate. Bonus points if you use a damp microfiber. Gets it clean without leaving any marring! I have a black car and it has very few marring/ultra-fine scratches; the ones that are there are from snow and ice sliding off. I'll polish them off of the clearcoat in the spring.

As a matter of fact, I wash it a couple times a week (at least) with microfiber towels. I fold them into 8 sections and wipe only once and do each panel with one section; and use lots of waterless wash solution. I live in an apartment and don't have a hose. Works great!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Silver does hide defects well!

Nothing wrong with using a microfiber on paint; actually that's preffered. Just don't do it dry. Pledge, a waterless wash solution, or a quick detail spray to lubricate. Bonus points if you use a damp microfiber. Gets it clean without leaving any marring! I have a black car and it has very few marring/ultra-fine scratches; the ones that are there are from snow and ice sliding off. I'll polish them off of the clearcoat in the spring.

As a matter of fact, I wash it a couple times a week (at least) with microfiber towels. I fold them into 8 sections and wipe only once and do each panel with one section; and use lots of waterless wash solution. I live in an apartment and don't have a hose. Works great!
I know what you mean. Its like when people think they are being funny writing "Wash Me" on the side of your car. Then when you finally do, it is etched in the side of your car and it is time to pull out the polish. I have a black truck done good by it for the first few months, then I just said I quit.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah I'm just a stickler, and I enjoy doing it. Like they say, if you can resist the urge to look back at your car when walking away from it; you bought the wrong one!

I love the way my car looks with that dripping wet, deep shine black paint with excellent coating and sealants on it, no scratches, etc.

The reality is though, most people would look at my car, and a car next to it COVERED in swirls, scratches and marring; and think both are not scratches and say mine just looks a little 'darker' (swirls and scratches tend to lighten the overall look).

I'm such a stickler I wouldn't let the dealership detail my car. I took it home off the truck covered in plastic and dirt and rail dust. I didn't trust them to do it right!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts