Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I know someone will have the right answer for me...
so my 2000 Vulcan 500 was sitting in my garage for about 3 years. It didn't start initially so I have:

1) Cleaned Carbs
2) Changed Oil/Filter
3) Flushed Coolant
4) New Brake Fluid
5) New Spark Plugs
6) New Battery
7) Bench Synced Carbs
8) Rebuilt Petcock

I am have no experience working on bikes but with the advice from various threads on this forum I got my bike back up and running and am loving riding again but...

Problems that need your help:

1) On initial start with FULL Choke, in hot Texas Days, if bike isn't fully warmed-up when i give throttle it dies... Any suggestions/reasons why it's doing this?

2) Fuel consumption is now abysmal. I used to was getting around 45-50 mpg... Now half that.... I ran out of gas after 108 miles (including reserve)... that just doesn't seem right to me on a 4 gal tank.

When I did run out of gas, bike was just screaming on idle with no throttle and then konked out. What's going on here?

I would appreciate any advice you guys could offer.

thanks,
P.Thomas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi to all,

I know someone will have the right answer for me...
so my 2000 Vulcan 500 was sitting in my garage for about 3 years. It didn't start initially so I have:

1) Cleaned Carbs
2) Changed Oil/Filter
3) Flushed Coolant
4) New Brake Fluid
5) New Spark Plugs
6) New Battery
7) Bench Synced Carbs
8) Rebuilt Petcock

I am have no experience working on bikes but with the advice from various threads on this forum I got my bike back up and running and am loving riding again but...

Problems that need your help:

1) On initial start with FULL Choke, in hot Texas Days, if bike isn't fully warmed-up when i give throttle it dies... Any suggestions/reasons why it's doing this?

2) Fuel consumption is now abysmal. I used to was getting around 45-50 mpg... Now half that.... I ran out of gas after 108 miles (including reserve)... that just doesn't seem right to me on a 4 gal tank.

When I did run out of gas, bike was just screaming on idle with no throttle and then konked out. What's going on here?

I would appreciate any advice you guys could offer.

thanks,
P.Thomas
I dont have much experience with motorcycles either but if i were to guess i would say clogged jets/line/ or just bad floats that are stuck nearly shut

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I can't speak exactly to your 2000....but my 1990 has only a 2.9 gallon tank.
Vulcan 500 's are notoriously cold blooded.....even on a hot day most of them
need about 30 sec. of choke then push choke in and they should be ready for some throttle.

I'm sure you will get more advice from others.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sounds like the pilot jets are plugged.......Did you remove the pilot screws when you cleaned carbs??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, sure did. today put some seafoam in the gas tank... we shall see if that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2005 500 fires up on the first or second crank with the choke OFF, it runs for a little bit then dies. I always have to put the choke ON for 30 seconds then turn the choke OFF regardless of the temperature outside. Even after I turn the choke off I have to wait a few minutes for it to warm up a little before giving it any throttle. Usually it warmed up by the time I get my gear on, bike unlocked, and bag packed.

Did you adjust the pilot screws? Maybe they are backed way out and the bike is running really rich at idle. I don't know if that would cause your sudden drop in MPG or not.

How many times have you tested the MPGs? Maybe you sat in traffic a lot this time or were really excited to get the bike back on the road (hard launches, excessive reving, etc).

·
Registered
154 Posts
The choke to start makes it seem lean at low throttle (like mixture screw turned all the way in, or vacuum leak).

But the bad fuel economy sounds like it is rich. Can you tell by the smell of the exhaust?

When it dies does it backfire out the carb throats? Take the air cleaner off (for testing only) and see if it acts any different. If rich taking the aircleaner off will help, the opposite for lean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts