Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue over the weekend with my Bobbed 800. Ran the tank out of gas due to junk in the float bowl clogging the needle. I pulled the carb, cleaned the bowl, needle, and seat. After re-installing the carb, the bike wouldn't fire up without almost 100% covering the carb intake (without the filter) and was only running on one cylinder. Soo.... ended up pulling the carb off and removed jets. Idle jet was plugged (root issue of the bike's random idle RPM's when it did fire up). Main jet was a little dirty but not bad. Cleaned both jets and reinstalled them in the carb. Re-set air full mixture screw (3.5 turns due to intake and drag pipes).

Re-installed the card on the bike and she fired up. Had to adjust the idle a little due to a clean carb. I think the one cylinder issue as due to a bad seal at the intake manifold behind the carb. It must have been pulling in extra air and preventing good combustion. Also installed an inline fuel filter ($3 from napa) to help keep junk out of the carb. So far she's running great after 25 mile ride last night.

Moral of the story if you're pulling your carb. Check your needle, needle seat, all jets, float, diaphragm, choke and all the little ports. Clean everything thoroughly. Be sure the boot between the intake manifold & carb is tight to prevent an air leaks.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Better check your plugs to make sure they are not fouled, in particular, the rear.
Also, when were the valves checked last?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts