Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lifted the seat and found the seat overlap over the tank was nasty. Broke out the clay bar and elbow grease and WOW! Decided to do all the paint and had to share.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is just what it sounds. A bar of clay you use with a detail spray to keep it lubed. It is usually used for car applications to remove the fine dirt from paint. Then after claying your paint, you put a good coat of wax/polish on and it is good as new. Plenty of vids out there if you have not tried.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Gotta love the clay bar!

I bought my car new from the factory and it was amazing how much rail dust and other grit I got off of the paint on a car that had rolled off the assembly line just a couple weeks before...

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Autozone has them, I am sure any parts house has them. I clay barred a PT Cruiser once. Day and night difference. (It was only two weeks old at the time) But depending on the color, it may darken the color a bit. Not by staining it but with more light reflection... Sometimes the slightly darker color is prettier.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Next step, is to learn proper care techniques for paint (using good soaps, microfiber towels; and high quality wash mitts. No more rags.) Then polish out all of the fine scratches that people put into their bikes; and see just how shiny it can get!

This is a car, not a motorcycle; but the idea is the same. On the right, is the result of using rags to wipe on the car, automatic car washes, scrubbing the paint with sponges or using just a single bucket (google 'two bucket wash method') and thus allowing grit to get trapped into the wash mitt and scratch the paint, etc. And on the left is after polishing using a DA polisher. It's amazing what a difference good paint care can make. I know most folks would rather use an old T-Shirt and a can of pledge; but if you really want your bike to look fantastic; then you can change a few care techniques and polish her up! (Yes, pledge will remove the dirt; but it won't lubricate your wash media. That's why plenty of water, a good quality lubricating soap, and a thick wash mitt are necessary. They prevent the grit from scraping across the paint.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts