Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made this switch? I have a 2009 Classic. I love the bike, but honestly I'm tired of looking at it. It just doesn't excite me. I have it parked beside my 2009 Vulcan 500 and honestly I find the 500 a better looking bike. I think it's the front wheel and the rear fender.

Anyway, I think I'm going to trade or sale my classic and go to the custom and just wondered if anyone else has done this. Pros, Cons, etc...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I suggest that you trade/sell only if you are sure you want to stick with the 900. I have the custom and I don't care much for the classic look. The only difference in bikes will be the front tire. It may take some getting use to especially with splits in the road and other conditions that a skinny tire doesn't like but otherwise, the custom is easy on the eyes and rides great.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I love the 900. Cheap insurance, cheap gas, cheap price, and will do anything you ask it to. The Dunlops on my Classic used to follow those lines too, before I got new tires, as did my 500. I'm looking at a couple 2010 Vulcan Custom SE's. I really like that particular model.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i have both ... I was a little the same as you ... I had done all I wanted to my classic and was a little bored so I got me a new 2010 left over custom. The main difference as stated is the front tire and rear fender, the riding position is different with the customs forward mounted pegs.

They both ride and handle so different, the customs causes me to twist the wrist a lot more and I have set it up as a solo rider and it also has the big 3.

The classic I use for 2 up riding and touring.

I really enjoy the 900 platform, it rides well, handles well and has a boat load of accessories and options.available. It is more bike than most well ever use and rarely does it not exceed expectations.

If you are thinking of taking a bath selling your classic to get a custom, why not customise your classic .... you may save some doe ... aftermarket rims, fenders, lights, pipes, air kit etc.

Both my bikes are on my home page if you so wish to look.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone made this switch? I have a 2009 Classic. I love the bike, but honestly I'm tired of looking at it. It just doesn't excite me. I have it parked beside my 2009 Vulcan 500 and honestly I find the 500 a better looking bike. I think it's the front wheel and the rear fender.

Anyway, I think I'm going to trade or sale my classic and go to the custom and just wondered if anyone else has done this. Pros, Cons, etc...
We had both in the family and I rode them back to back. The different front tire and handlebars make a big difference -- I find the Custom to be lighter steering overall. Coming from sportbikes and standards I liked this better. The only changes I had to make was adding Kury Mini boards in place of the Custom's pegs (my short legs didn't help here), plus Mustang seat and bar risers (short arms!). If you find the Classic's boards to be comfortable, you might miss them -- there's options for fixing that at a reasonable cost though! Neither stock seat is all that good for longer rides, so that's a wash -- if you already have an aftermarket seat, save it as it should fit the Custom too!

Then there's the difference in looks of the two bikes.... ;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another +1 to modding the classic. I'd figure up how much it's actually going to cost you to do the switch, taxes, title, difference in cost, etc. etc. and see what that amount of money can do to your classic.

Of course if you really just WANT the custom go for it!

My wife has a Shadow Aero which is like a cross between the two. It has a gorgeous big rear fender with tombstone tail light, but the front end has forward controls and a skinny front tire. The riding position is good but I don't like the skinny tire at all. Handles better, leans into the corners well, but there's too much road feel and it follows divets and things in the road way too easily. At least, that's MY opinion! But I like having the fat front tire for the comfort factor (well, and I think it looks better. Bicycles have skinny tires, motorcycles have fat tires. Quit trying to mess with the order of the universe! hehe)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a set of triple trees, front fender+mount and wheels from a custom. They all bolt on. Sell your classic parts and probably come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of triple trees, front fender+mount and wheels from a custom. They all bolt on. Sell your classic parts and probably come out ahead.
Yeah that's the route I think im going to go. Maybe some trading and selling of parts etc. anyone know if the rakes of the bikes are much different?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The parts fit almost exactly from customs to classics.. the issue is cost. My recommendation (this comes from experience) is to figure out what your next move will be for your bike, then ask around on the forums about buying someone elses stuff they're not using or whatever, or trading it for your stuff.

For example, lets say you're looking for a rear fender. Post it up on the forums because i'm sure there's a custom owner out there who's looking to get rid of his/her rear fender for whatever reason. And if there's not.. surely someone here will know a great spot to find one.

You will reduce the cost of this conversion ENORMOUSLY by asking around here to see if you can't buy cheap and / or trade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BTW - Make sure you are looking for enough ahead.... to the point when you are reselling your Custom / Classic 900. Who is going to buy a Classic that has been fully modded into a Custom - wouldn't they just want a factory Custom? Is the resale value of a Classic higher than a Custom? How do you insure it? etc....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW - Make sure you are looking for enough ahead.... to the point when you are reselling your Custom / Classic 900. Who is going to buy a Classic that has been fully modded into a Custom - wouldn't they just want a factory Custom? Is the resale value of a Classic higher than a Custom? How do you insure it? etc....
That's a great point I really hadn't thought of. You're right, I would never be able to sell the bike if I did this. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can find a cheap custom 07 model and paint it etc...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's a great point I really hadn't thought of. You're right, I would never be able to sell the bike if I did this. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can find a cheap custom 07 model and paint it etc...
That might be the best bet. Or, if you're looking for radical changes anyway, what about finding a wrecked one? Might be able to score one for a couple grand that has a few scrapes and dents. If you're doing body work anyway; it doesn't really matter!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Classic for Custom

If you lived closer I would swap with you lol. I have a 2009 VN900 Custom Special Edition but want a classic for touring instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sort of went from Classic to Custom - had a Suzuki Intruder C800 (Boulevard C50?) before the VN 900 Custom. The Suzuki and the VN Classic are similar. I prefer the riding position of the Custom . The front tyre takes a bit of getting used to but I prefer the riding position. Of course a lot depends on our body shapes :D Hated the spokes cos we get a lot of rain here - cast wheels better for me. Classics always look great. I would imagine more older guys ride Classics although I'm 64 and prefer the Custom. Both great bikes.

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
I love my custom it feels alot better to sit on than the classic easier to handle, I just added a mustang seat and handlebar risers and it is a comfy bike to ride long distances.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know this is a old thread but I went from a Custom to a Classic and am now back to a Custom.Both are good bikes.I also have a 2012 Shadow Aero 750

1 - 20 of 23 Posts