Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VN1600 Classic will eventually become a VN1600TCMS, Tour Classic Mean Streak . Couldn't resist the Harley model letter tags. My Classic already has a tour pack, and eventually will have hard bags, frame mounted fairing with all the goodies. The chassis will be updated with Mean Streak wheels, front brakes, throttle bodies, heads and tranny gears for 1st through 4th, but 5th will remain as is on the Classic. All this work will have to wait until this coming winter. But as of yesterday I needed to replace the rear tire on my Classic. So rather than mount another tire to the 16" stock wheel, I replaced the rear wheel with the wheel and tire I had bought from a parted out Mean Streak. The Mean Streak rear wheel is a direct exchange for the Classic wheel, and the Avon radial tire is the same OD as the Bridgestone bias-ply tire.

So now my Classic has a 17" rear wheel with an Avon radial sport touring tire. The load range of the Avon tire is the same as the original 16" Bridgestone Excedra rear tire. I really like the much lighter look of the Mean Streak wheel and especially the much shorter looking sidewall height of the tire. It rides well, just have to fine tune the tire pressure ro the ride I want (40 psi is a bit high). I will also be changing the front wheel to a Mean Streak, but since it has 10mm larger diameter front discs I'll have to modify the caliper mounts to fit the slightly larger diameter Mean Streak full floater discs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My next move is to modify the front caliper mounts to move the calipers out about 10mm. The discs on the Mean Streak wheel are at least 10mm larger diameter than the Classic discs. I want the additional braking capability and the better feel of the full floater discs from the Mean Streak. I'll also change the front brake hoses to SS braided for better feel.

I also have a front fender from a Yamaha 1300 to mount on the Vulcan. One thing I've never liked is the wide flat top front fender on the Classic. That, together with the high sidewall of the 16" front tire gives the Classic such a heavy looking front end presence. I want to "lighten up" the look similar to a Yamaha 1700.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent some time fitting the Mean Streak front wheel and the Yamaha 1300 fender to my VN1600 Classic. It requires making new caliper mounts to suit the much larger Mean Streak full floating discs.

So I bought a set of calipers off ebay to cut up and weld up a new set of mounts. Also, the disc center to center distance is narrower on the Mean Streak wheel than on the Classic, but the caliper pins should allow for that. I plan to use the stock four-piston Classic calipers on the Mean Streak full floater discs, along with SS Braided hose lines to improve the front braking capability. I really like the more modern, lighter front end look of the Mean Streak wheel on my Classic. I think it looks more modern like the Yamaha Silverado or the new Venture.

The Yamaha fender has a much better shape and profile, I feel, than the stock stodgy looking Classic fender. I just have to slot out the Yammy fender mount holes slightly to fit the center to center distance on the Classic mounts. Also it'll need some black nylon or chrome spacers to suit the narrower mount on the Yammy fender. But in all I really like the look of the Mean Streak front wheel, brake discs and Yammy fender on my Classic. Looks kind of like a hugger style fender, but it has plenty of clearance underneath. It's also a much lighter weight fender, by pounds.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing both front and rear Mean Streak wheels on my Classic. The rear wheel is a direct fit, no modifications needed. The front takes more work and parts. The stock Classic calipers will work with the Mean Streak wheel, but changes are needed for the stock rotors or Mean Streak rotors. The stock Classic rotors will only fit the Mean Streak wheel if you get the rotor holes drilled to fit the pattern on the Mean Streak wheel. The Mean Streak rotors are slightly larger diameter and are full floater style, plus they are lighter than the Classic rotors. To get the Classic calipers to the right position to mount with the Mean Streak rotors requires a modified caliper bracket. I bought an extra set of Classic caliper mounts so I had two each of the LH and RH caliper mounts. I positioned the calipers over the Mean Streak rotors, using strips of cardboard to space the calipers properly off the rotors. Took measurements, then cut the caliper mounts so I could position the calipers and mount sections. I then tack welded the mounts enough to hold position, so I could spin the front wheel and check clearance and runout. Once I had that confirmed I took the calipers off, took the mount brackets out and got them TIG welded. I chose TIG welding because it puts less heat into the caliper mounts to avoid distorting them. Works good and I think the Mean Streak rotors look much better than the Classic rotors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm doing both front and rear Mean Streak wheels on my Classic. The rear wheel is a direct fit, no modifications needed. The front takes more work and parts. The stock Classic calipers will work with the Mean Streak wheel, but changes are needed for the stock rotors or Mean Streak rotors. The stock Classic rotors will only fit the Mean Streak wheel if you get the rotor holes drilled to fit the pattern on the Mean Streak wheel. The Mean Streak rotors are slightly larger diameter and are full floater style, plus they are lighter than the Classic rotors. To get the Classic calipers to the right position to mount with the Mean Streak rotors requires a modified caliper bracket. I bought an extra set of Classic caliper mounts so I had two each of the LH and RH caliper mounts. I positioned the calipers over the Mean Streak rotors, using strips of cardboard to space the calipers properly off the rotors. Took measurements, then cut the caliper mounts so I could position the calipers and mount sections. I then tack welded the mounts enough to hold position, so I could spin the front wheel and check clearance and runout. Once I had that confirmed I took the calipers off, took the mount brackets out and got them TIG welded. I chose TIG welding because it puts less heat into the caliper mounts to avoid distorting them. Works good and I think the Mean Streak rotors look much better than the Classic rotors.
I think for now I'll try to keep the stock rotors and just match the pattern, down the road if I get my hands on a better welder maybe I'll attempt to fabricate the mounts like you did, because it looks great. But for right now I only have a stick welder and I'm not brave enough to try welding a caliper with that, especially cast-whatever material it is.

To match the pattern on the classic rotor would I need a whole new set of holes drilled or just make them larger? In my mind I'm picturing I'll have two sets of holes kind of like a universal car rim.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some updates. I have a pair of Mean Streak 6-piston calipers for which I'll make mounts to fit the Classic fork legs. My Classic already has a Mean Streak front wheel and brake rotors.

I now have a gauge set from a VN1700 Vaquero installed into a modified Pacifico Shadow fairing. I made all the panels out of ABS sheet stock to mount the gauge set and will be welding/bonding it into the fairing soon. Through Accutach in California, Mark Olson and I developed the prototype tach controller that gets the VN1700 tach to respond to a signal from the VN1600 crank sensor. The rest of the gauges, speedo, is a matter of connecting the wiring from the 1600 to the fairing harness from a 1700 Vaquero. The frame mounted fairing is developing into a 70's vintage looking Vaquero style. I'll attach pics to show the gauge set into the fairing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts