Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple things that I did to improve the ride on my Classic LT, you might want to play around a little to get them to work for you as I am 6' 3" and 200lbs. 1. I trimmed 1 1/2" off of the windshield, now I can see over the top of it and still get the protection of the windshield (bugs in Fla.are something else). I used a Dremel tool to cut it and than finished shaping it with sand paper and block. 2. I tilted the top of the windshield back, helped a lot on windy days. I unbolted the mount bracket from the windshield, and drilled new holes about 1/2" in towards the front, need to check the clearance on the front cross support before tightening. 3. I backed the coil spring down on the rear shock and set the rebound dampener at the 1/2 way mark. What I found was by back the spring off it help free the bike up on hard acceleration and in corners. I found that if you find the happy spot where when you hit the throttle the back end moves down about a 1/2" to 1" that was the best place. This really seemed to help keep the front tire from sliding in corners when you are on the throttle. 4. I readjusted the rear brake pedal down, the factory setting made me lift my big size 12 all of the way off of the running board to get on to the pedal. Lowering the height has made it a lot better riding especially with all of the cager's on cell phones that don't seem to be able to see us riders.
Has anybody tried putting lower shields on the front to cut down on the wind buffet between the windshield and fuel tank? I'm thinking about making some from stanless steel, but I wonder how it will effect the cooling on the radiator and my wife say's she gets a hot foot from the pipes in the summer time?

·
Registered
56 Posts
have the short oem windshield and I can see over it ok and I'm 6'0". stock pipes would generate more heat because they're more restrictive, also they're about 4" around. my aftermarket pipes are 2.5" diameter and increase the distance between the peg allowing for some air flow and cooler feet. I think I'll lower the brake pedal on mine too, don't like picking up my foot to brake either. appreciate the info, ride safe.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here are a couple things that I did to improve the ride on my Classic LT, you might want to play around a little to get them to work for you as I am 6' 3" and 200lbs. 1. I trimmed 1 1/2" off of the windshield, now I can see over the top of it and still get the protection of the windshield (bugs in Fla.are something else). I used a Dremel tool to cut it and than finished shaping it with sand paper and block. 2. I tilted the top of the windshield back, helped a lot on windy days. I unbolted the mount bracket from the windshield, and drilled new holes about 1/2" in towards the front, need to check the clearance on the front cross support before tightening.
Awesome tip regarding the windshield. Works way better tipped back as suggested. Looks a lot better also. I'm also 6'3 and took the 1.5 inches off the windshield.

Just bought a Mustang seat to help fit the bike a bit better to my body (loved this seat on my 900 Vulcan). Hopefully I havent gone too short now on the windshield. I think the Mustang seat will raise me up an inch or so (and hopefully back a bit to give me a bit more room for my legs).

I'll report back on the seat install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The new Mustang seat is awesome.

I've just installed it and can tell that the ergonomics of the bike are greatly improved for a guy of 6'3" (34" inseem). You can easily sit straight with this seat where the old one tended to force u into a slouch. You are higher and back more also so there seems to be way more room for your legs and arms. Even my highway pegs (which I was having cramping problems with) are now feeling just right. The seat is firm (similar to my last mustang) so I may still use a sheepskin or airhawk pad for long rides. But the improvement in posture is going to be worth it.

the seat also looks great. I think it improves the lines of the bike. always thought that the deep dish of the stock seat looked a bit odd (or forced).

I probably could have cut a bit less of the windscreen now that I am sitting higher. I'll give it a try. It may actually help reduce buffeting. I am thinking that my head may be just above the air flow from under the windshield and still below the flow from over top. I'll try this out in the next day or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts