Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,
I have a 2010 900 Classic LT with 4780 miles. The previous owner was a hack and damaged many things. Such as windshield mounts, saddle bags mounts, clutch lever, clutch cable, and more.

I repaired many of them and have been riding for two months with no problems. Was finally able to find and buy a new clutch cable (the old one worked but had started to fray, so it was just s matter of time before it failed).

I expected the cable replacement to be easy, but it turned into a problem. I released the cable from the handlebar lever and started to release it from the “clutch release lever” that holds the other end of the cable, below the clutch cover. Following the shop manual, I previously removed the gas tank and exhaust system.

Before removing the end of the cable, the clutch stopped disengaging. That is, pulling on the clutch cable does not move the clutch release lever, which is supposed to disengage the clutch. The release lever does not move beyond an apparent hard stop. Internally, it engages the clutch push rod.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Do I need to remove the clutch cover?

Looking at exploded drawings of the clutch, I do not see how the release lever actually engages the push rod!

I appreciate any ideas you may have.
GFM

·
Registered
103 Posts
You have 3 adjustment points. One at the clutch lever, one by the radiator, and one at the clutch handle. Start at the clutch lever at the motor, pull it tight and tighten the nut. Secondly adjust the middle adjustment (lefty loosey) will add more tension. And finally fine tune at the clutch handle. Hope this helps you out, Peace out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have 3 adjustment points. One at the clutch lever, one by the radiator, and one at the clutch handle. Start at the clutch lever at the motor, pull it tight and tighten the nut. Secondly adjust the middle adjustment (lefty loosey) will add more tension. And finally fine tune at the clutch handle. Hope this helps you out, Peace out.
Hi TheIdiotRightHere,

Thanks for considering this. At this point, the clutch cable is not attached. So the three cable adjustments do not come into play.

I’m moving the clutch release lever (which is what the cable connects to) by hand. Pushing the lever in the direction that the cable pulls it (when you pull the handlebar clutch lever in), it moves to a point and then just stops. I expect it to internally engage the clutch posh rod and push against the clutch springs. But it is a hard stop.

It seems like the release lever is failing to engage the clutch push rod.

Is there a way to make the release lever connect with the push rod without removing the clutch cover?

I’m trying to avoid that because it would require a clutch cover gasket and possibly a release lever gasket. And those may be difficult to find now.
- GFM

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You're trying to disengage the clutch by hand? Unless you are the Amazing Hulk, engaging the push rod will feel like a hard stop. The resistance you feel is most likely the flat of the release lever shaft engaging the push rod. Remember, the 2" of handle movement only move the push rod a fraction of an inch. At this point, I would install the cable and see if the clutch actuates. You should be able to tell without starting the engine, so no need to reassemble everything until you're sure you've got it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi SteveJB and thank you. I think you are absolutely right. The handlebar clutch lever does apply A LOT of force to the pushrod through the cable. I will put on the new cable, adjust it properly, and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts