Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question... Any ideas on how/where to safely secure my full face helmet while riding? Delaware's helmet law is that you have to HAVE a helmet; it does NOT have to be on your HEAD! On my '92 Virago 1100, it fit perfectly (safely and snugly) over the narrow sissy bar. But the '01 Classic's sissy bar is waaaaay too wide for that. It definitely doesn't fit in my saddle bags or on the little luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

Does anyone know of any ways of securing it? (Besides bungee corded to the sissy bar on the back seat.) Like, are there any kind of products on the market for achieving this? I did a google search but most results are for crotch rockets or GoPro mounts.

I also want to make sure it's mounted in such fashion that it won't scrape, scuff, or scratch anything!

Worst case scenario is I may have to buy a beanie that will fit the sissy bar.

Thoughts and input would be great!! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Best place that I've found is to take the helmet's strap and secure it under your chin. The helmet will fit snugly on top of your head without falling off while riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best place that I've found is to take the helmet's strap and secure it under your chin. The helmet will fit snugly on top of your head without falling off while riding.
BOOO!! :devil2:

I only care to where a helmet if have to by law or in cold weather :wink2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In the event that I mis-interpreted the meaning of your post and you actually use your helmet and want to know where to secure it when parked, I bought a stretch of plastic coated steel braid from Home Depot and made a lockable lanyard. I wrap it around the handlebar and hang the helmet from there.

I've never been one to trust people so I just can't bring myself to leave it sitting on the bike when I walk away from it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In the event that I mis-interpreted the meaning of your post and you actually use your helmet and want to know where to secure it when parked, I bought a stretch of plastic coated steel braid from Home Depot and made a lockable lanyard. I wrap it around the handlebar and hang the helmet from there.

I've never been one to trust people so I just can't bring myself to leave it sitting on the bike when I walk away from it.
He wants to know where to put the helmet INSTEAD of wearing it. Some people interpret helmet laws that you have to have one but you can wear it on your elbow if you want instead of on your head. I’m sure he doesn’t want to start a helmet debate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He wants to know where to put the helmet INSTEAD of wearing it. Some people interpret helmet laws that you have to have one but you can wear it on your elbow if you want instead of on your head. I’m sure he doesn’t want to start a helmet debate.
Delaware helmet law: "Every person operating or riding on a motorcycle shall have in that person's POSSESSION a safety helmet approved by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security (hereinafter "Secretary") through the Office of Highway Safety and shall WEAR eye protection approved by the Secretary; provided, however, that every person up to 19 years of age operating or riding on a motorcycle shall wear a safety helmet and eye protection approved by the Secretary."

So, as I said, I'm required to have a helmet with me, not literally ON me :smile2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with previous people that if you have a helmet and spend so much time trying to find ways to circumvent the law then you are indeed an idiot!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet you don’t ride in shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops.

Clearly the writers of the helmet law, thought a rider would be mature after the age of 19 to make a responsible decision; in this case though...

No. The writers of the helmet law understand that this is a free fucking country not every rider wants to wear a helmet and it is not up to them to tell people that they have to. The only reason they require us to have one with us is to appease the surrounding states since from any given point in Delaware you can find yourself in a neighboring state within an hour.

Again. This thread is not about whether or not someone should or should not wear a helmet or who is "mature" and "responsible" and who is not or about insecure people passive-aggressively insulting people to make themselves feel better. If that's the only reason you're here, then maybe you just go back to Twitter.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I use one of those cargo bungee nets to secure stuff to the rear seat/sissy bar, including my FF helmet I take on trips for rain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use one of those cargo bungee nets to secure stuff to the rear seat/sissy bar, including my FF helmet I take on trips for rain.

Interesting. First off, thank you for an on-topic and helpful answer :smile2:
I thought these nets would be too small for a full face helmet, but apparently not, so thank you for that!

So do you just set the helmet sideways on the back seat and secure the clips to the sissy bar?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Look, my own personal feelings about wearing a helmet, or not, is that they should be worn. I understand that there are those that feel differently. What a surprise. There are always different opinions on just about any subject. I though, will never ride without one.

That being said, I would hope that forum members would exercise a bit of mature decorum and refrain from more confrontational statements when another forum member espouses different opinions. I disagree with "stupidName's" helmet viewpoint, but this sentence is the limit of my chastising about it.

About nine years ago, a very good friend of mine asked me to ride down from here in Washington state (which requires helmets even on bicycles) to down somewhere in Arizona with him. We were going there to meet up with his son who had just completed some motorcycle mechanic's course and then we'd all ride back (the boy had a nice yellow Victory). I wanted to go but had just used up all of my vacation time and simply couldn't go with him.

Well, Paul did not like helmets. The day after he took off on his trip, we, at work, learned that he had been killed on the way. It was in an accident that somehow involved a semi tractor-trailer. My first thought upon hearing of it was "OMG! Did he have a helmet on?"

It turns out that he did but because of the nature of the accident that nothing would have mattered, regardless. The moral of the story for me anyway, is that helmets don't always save you. But they sure do enhance your survivability. My feelings of immortality left me decades ago. I am very much aware that there's not as much time left on my clock as there used to be. If wearing a helmet could theoretically add some time to my clock then I'll wear it. Besides, it keeps the bugs out of my teeth.

Paul's death was a big shock and as emotionally wrapped up in the subject as I get. But it doesn't drive me to confrontational replies. I stand with "texas nurse" on his thoughts of the importance of wearing a helmet. Perhaps his vocation drives some of his thoughts on the subject. But I also stand with "stupidName" for his right to feel as he does, too.

Perhaps this thread was bound to devolve into what it has devolved to. Fine. Its done now. Let's move on please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been riding so long always wearing a helmet that I would feel weird riding without one. That and I have hit the ground hard enough to know that if I wasn't wearing a helmet I wouldn't be here writing this today sitting on the toilet

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.