1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
$5 million in damages because they sold him an uncomfortable $20,000 motorcycle, which did not permanently harm or injure him in any way?

That's America alright!

·
Registered
364 Posts
$5 million in damages because they sold him an uncomfortable $20,000 motorcycle, which did not permanently harm or injure him in any way?

That's America alright!
I'm not overly familiar with American Law, but in a Class Action case, are not the damages to be shared by all those who own the allegedly faulty product?

Should we start lining up for our share of the 5 million? ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I can jusy imagine the TV ads now. "If you or any member of your family died, was injured or made uncomfortable on your Kawasaki motorcycle, contact WE SUE ANYONE FOR A BUCK immediately for money you deserve, and we want 1/2 of it. Couldn't get that last part in small print, sorry. I'd offer to take the bike back and he pay the standard rental fee for the time he had it, around here I think thats around $155 a day. Guess it takes all kinds.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
:rolleyes:

??? I have nothing to say that ain't already been said ???

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with American Law, but in a Class Action case, are not the damages to be shared by all those who own the allegedly faulty product?

Should we start lining up for our share of the 5 million? ;)
Your 'share' will amount to a few bucks. Recently AT&T got sued for tens of millions in a 'class action' as a result of some policy they had on some plan, that I had. Never bothered me, but I got a letter stating that if I waived my own right to sue (If you accept the class action settlement and become one of the 'plaintiffs', you can't go back and sue on your own); then I would be entitled to a portion of that $20 or $30 million dollar judgement. My portion, if I remember correctly, was $11. I didn't sign or send anything in. That would've been a bad legal move anyway. If I ever actually did have real, actual damages as a result of whatever this was; signing my right to have my day in court away for $11 is a bonehead move!

The people who make money in these cases are the lawyers. They tell people they'll only get paid if you get paid, but take the majority of the settlement themselves.

The worst part about this all is that he's not suing over a safety feature, or even being truthfully lied to or anything. If I was told my bike had ABS, then I slammed on the brake and wrecked because my tires locked up and I was anticipating ABS; and it turned out the bike never had it? I'd be calling a lawyer.

But because the bike sucks?

One time I hit a bump really hard and it was pretty uncomfortable with the mono-shock suspension on my 900. How many millions do you think that's worth?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think I got a $3 check for a class-action lawsuit against Netflix a few years back, for something I don't even remember. This sue happy society of ours is just getting out of hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts