Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an earlier post regarding a "clacking" sound that I heard when I lugged the engine, well it seems that I can get the same sound by putting the bike in 1st gear , rocking it back and forth with the clutch in so there is no strain on the transmission, then by letting the clutch out quickly I can hear my "clack", This dosen't happen when the bike is under power, The bike is used but new to me, '07 V2k 9700 mi. (clutch problems, tranny problems? or just the nature of the beast??) :confused: any ideas would be appreciated..TIA

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had an earlier post regarding a "clacking" sound that I heard when I lugged the engine, well it seems that I can get the same sound by putting the bike in 1st gear , rocking it back and forth with the clutch in so there is no strain on the transmission, then by letting the clutch out quickly I can hear my "clack", This dosen't happen when the bike is under power, The bike is used but new to me, '07 V2k 9700 mi. (clutch problems, tranny problems? or just the nature of the beast??) :confused: any ideas would be appreciated..TIA
DO NOT EVER EVER LUG THE ENGINE..... I think what you are experiencing is running gear slack must have that with straight cut gears, normal normal.
In 5th gear downshift at least no lower than 42MPH.
Bare

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"clacking sound"

thanks for the reply, as of late I don't go into 5th gear unless I'm doing over 55mph, is that good or no?? I also ordered a Kaw mini tach. I hope to be able to keep it in the power band. ( I think):) I belive that the V2k is a single fire ( whatever that means), so do I hook up to two coils, :D thanks again

·
Registered
987 Posts
Clacking sound around trannie

There was a recall on the V2Ks regarding slack that develops in the drive pulley. The Recall involved the dealer pulling the pulley off, checking for spline wear, replacing the pulley as required and then "properly" torquing the retaining nut. To check this is pretty easy to pull the cover on the left side and look for metal filings around the drive pulley. Another place to look is the driven pulley on the rear wheel. There is a vibration dampening rubber drive sprocket inside the rear hub. If it is damaged, or the little teeny bearing holding it up is damaged, it will also produce a clacking noise. The bearing usually gives you plenty of warning though, with high pitched squealing and squeeking (which I thought was belt noise until the driven pulley grabbed the frame and dumped me on my butt) :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
There was a recall on the V2Ks regarding slack that develops in the drive pulley. The Recall involved the dealer pulling the pulley off, checking for spline wear, replacing the pulley as required and then "properly" torquing the retaining nut. To check this is pretty easy to pull the cover on the left side and look for metal filings around the drive pulley. Another place to look is the driven pulley on the rear wheel. There is a vibration dampening rubber drive sprocket inside the rear hub. If it is damaged, or the little teeny bearing holding it up is damaged, it will also produce a clacking noise. The bearing usually gives you plenty of warning though, with high pitched squealing and squeeking (which I thought was belt noise until the driven pulley grabbed the frame and dumped me on my butt) :(
You are right however it was for 04's and early 05's.
Actualy it was not a recall it was called: ENGINE PULLY WEAR FACTORY DIRECTED MODIFICATION, in short the factory on some units did not apply the proper engine pully nut clamping force or did not use molybdenum grease or both.
In my shop I check all years just to be safe.
Bare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts