Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...just purchased a 2009 Vulcan 900 with 9000 miles. I didn't notice this on the test drive but when starting the bike after it's warmed up it makes some clacking noises for a minute or two and then quiets down again. There is no loss of power or any other issues but this noise has me a little concerned. Again, it only happens at hot startup and goes away pretty quickly. At cold startup, it's completely smooth and silent.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There is a valve that opens and closes that is part of emissions system. When it opens or closes, the engine sounds different for a few seconds then returns to normal. Maybe that is what you are hearing? Although, it continues to open and close. It doesn't stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr crazy rider guy. This noise only occurs at hot start. It gradually gets quieter and completely goes away after a minute or so. I have changed the oil and even tried some Lucas oil stabilizer. Nothing seems to help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What oil are you using? What filter are you using? Additives are not required to be added and often will do more harm than good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That noise is normal on all 3 of the Vulcan 900s I have owned. Oil from the head drains out when hot. It will take a few moments to built it all back up. As long as you are using an oil that is good for flat tappets, you should be golden. These engines will last a VERY long time.

Here are the oils that will work:
5w-40 - Diesel
10w-40 - Motorcycle
15w-40 - Diesel

Other weights may not be optimal. Do not use straight weight, or car oil. Often dealers can run sales on OEM branded oils. So it is possible to run Honda, Suzuki oils in your kaw if the price is right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks mr forddeisel69. It's good to know someone else has experienced this. I drained the Lucas and replaced with fresh valvoline conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

sfair...I will post a video soon. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As Sfair said, audio of the sound will help. But I think I get this on my '09 900Classic, 6K mi. There's some top end noise for a few seconds on a hot start when the bike has sat for a few minutes. That's every indication that oil is making its way back up to the top end and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
On a 900, I cannot think of what would cause clatter on start up in the valve train that would be oil related.
No HLA's or lifters.

Could be adjustment related.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts