Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed (and this was twelve years ago when I first got it too) that in colder weather, or right after starting up, the bike will stall when I take off. And when riding it, if I'm on the lower end of where I any gear, it will kind of "chug," like maybe skip a beat. I can hear air popping down by my left knee, which I'm guessing is the carb.

A good example -- Yesterday I started about 8AM in southern Maine. I think it was low to mid 60s out. I left the choke on until I got out on the open road, and I was fine. The "lower end of xyz gear" thing happened, but it's easier to deal with when I'm moving by either goosing the throttle a bit or down shifting.

Coming back though (it was three hours both ways, with a few stops coming home) it was cooler (50s) and it was happening worse. Again, nothing I can't deal with moving, but I was a bit nervous going to Lewiston (maybe it's every city though -- lots of idiots contained in the same few square miles) where there were lots of lights and stops.

What's the remedy for this kind of thing? Just ride it in the summer, or is there some sort of spring and fall adjustment I can make somewhere? Other than some cosmetic stuff, this is the last piece of the "Yeah BABY! Got me a nice Vulcan!" puzzle.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I've noticed (and this was twelve years ago when I first got it too) that in colder weather, or right after starting up, the bike will stall when I take off. And when riding it, if I'm on the lower end of where I any gear, it will kind of "chug," like maybe skip a beat. I can hear air popping down by my left knee, which I'm guessing is the carb.

A good example -- Yesterday I started about 8AM in southern Maine. I think it was low to mid 60s out. I left the choke on until I got out on the open road, and I was fine. The "lower end of xyz gear" thing happened, but it's easier to deal with when I'm moving by either goosing the throttle a bit or down shifting.

Coming back though (it was three hours both ways, with a few stops coming home) it was cooler (50s) and it was happening worse. Again, nothing I can't deal with moving, but I was a bit nervous going to Lewiston (maybe it's every city though -- lots of idiots contained in the same few square miles) where there were lots of lights and stops.

What's the remedy for this kind of thing? Just ride it in the summer, or is there some sort of spring and fall adjustment I can make somewhere? Other than some cosmetic stuff, this is the last piece of the "Yeah BABY! Got me a nice Vulcan!" puzzle.
Mine does it too. It a water-cooled motor and it takes the water a bit to heat up. I usually let my bike warm-up 2 to 4 minutes at least with the enricher (choke) pulled about halfway out before I ride it. But it settles in fairly soon and I usually have no issues the rest of the day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this continues. When I get off, I hear a fan running. I'm assuming that means the water is plenty hot at that point, but is it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well since your questioning if the thing is hot take the radiator cover off and make sure the coolant is full.
Also make sure the overflow tank is full.
My fan doesn't stay on after I turn the bike off unless the outside temps are above the 80's and I've ridden a lot of miles.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Well since your questioning if the thing is hot take the radiator cover off and make sure the coolant is full.
Also make sure the overflow tank is full.
My fan doesn't stay on after I turn the bike off unless the outside temps are above the 80's and I've ridden a lot of miles.
Good call on the overflow tank. A few years back my fan was running more than normal and I pulled the right side cover off and the overflow tank was nearly empty. I added coolant and the problem was solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts