Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Anybody put a set of Chucksters Customs Risers on there Voyager? I just installed a set and was very pleased after installing them until I tried to turn the handle bars stop to stop. When I had the handle bars where I wanted them you could not go full left or right because the handle bars will hit the inside of the fairing just below the gauges. If you adjust the handle bars down so it will not make contact they are way to low. I wound up setting them in between lower than what I want but not so low it just does not look or feel right. Anyway where they are now low as I will set them they still make contact with the fairing when you go to the left or right but it will make it to the stop. Problem is when it makes contact with the stop it pushes the fairing back up under the speedometer or tach gauges depending witch way you turn the bars and it pushes the plastic inside fairing back under the gauges 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The gauges don't move but I'm afraid eventually the plastic will crack and I'm sure it is not cheap.

I was just wondering if anybody has had this problem and if so have they been installed for some time and has any damage occurred to the fairing?

I'm not so much worried about ridding but when the bike is parked and the handle bars get turn full one way or the other and it stays there with pressure on the plastic for long periods of time.:frown2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use (and highly recommend) Chuckster's risers... I've had them on there for four and a half years now.

Everyone who installs any sort of risers has the same difficulty. My solution was to drill a hole through the steering stop post, and Loctite a machine head screw in each side. Others have put a small hose-clamp around that post. It's a very slight reduction in your turning circle, but enough to prevent the bars from touching the fairing. I can still use the steering lock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Peg I think I will try something like the hose clamp until the next time I take the front fairing off the bike then I will probably drill and tap a hole and install a screw or bolt. I never would have thought of that.

And yes I was very pleased with the risers until I came across the contact problem then it was Aw S**t but now that I know of a solution I am back to being very pleased again.

Will fix first thing tomorrow with a temporary clamps and then permanent bolts next time I have it apart

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used a piece of heater hose over the stop. If I remember right, I used 1/2 inch id and also cut a u shape into the hose so it would slide up the stop further. I also used some hair spray to hold it in place, this also acted as a lube to make it easier to get the hose on (tight fit).

·
Registered
67 Posts
risers

I have chucksters risers on my vaquero for a couple of months now. i used a piece of clear thick walled tubing on the post under the triple tree. i had to warm it up with a bic lighter as it was a tight fit. then I turned the handle bars full lock in both directions and pulled them down enough to just clear the dash and tighten down the top clamps. the bars are still high and back far enough to make a difference for me. no more sore shoulders from leaning forward while riding.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Thanks everyone I wound up using a 5/8" ID. steel bushing 3/8" wide with a split. slipped it on the post then put a stainless hose clamp trimmed the tail painted black. Bars are where they are comfortable looks good no contact with fairing and the handle bars still lock in full left position (just barley no play) and still have good u turn radius very happy again.
at 5'9" the Chuckster risers are just right rode for about 4 hours today and you can really tell the difference amazing what 1 3/4 inches will do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
guys, I'm looking to get a new Voyager. I'm tall so all the help I can get with bar height. Any opinions on mini-apes? Or really, how high can I go riser wise? I had a 2012 Nomad I installed 4" risers with some rerouting of cables.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, dougfoot
Using the Chucksters 1 3/4" risers is probably about s high as you can go without doing any cable rerouting. You do have to do something with the steering stop so the handle bars do not make contact with the front cowling dashboard when turning full left/right as talked about above. I have no idea how high you can go before replacing cables and hoses extending wiring harness. Again with the chucksters 1 3/4" and no rerouting the lines are tight (not banjo string tight but no extra slack tight) at full left/right turns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Stessel, I went to a local Kawi dealership to look at the Voyager, no way can those bars be raised anywhere near where I need them. They have soooo much rake to them! Looks like I'm leaning towards the Vaquero with mini apes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, no problem dougfoot,
Bad news though the Vaquero is exactly the same it is just the lower fairings in front of your legs that is different. It's just not made for ape hangers

·
Registered
38 Posts
My friend, I have to disagree! Voyager = frame mounted fairing, Vaquero = fork mounted. Quick google search of Vaquero mini apes produces many pics, and several 10,11,12" bars. Nothing for the Voyager though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, dougfoot
No problem it would not be the first I was wrong and doubt it will be last.
However I'm pretty sure this is not one of those times. Good news is if they have the mini apes that will work with the Vaquero then if you still want the Voyager they should work on the Voyager. I would imagine to get it to work they probably had to use a tall curved riser enough to bring the bar high enough to clear the tank and far back enough to clear the fairing. Bad news is back to the original question to do this you will probably have to use longer brake and clutch hoses as well as extend the harnesses. Like I said above just putting the 1 3/4 straight risers on stretched all the lines as far as they would go without rerouting.
But you are right do the research, and go to the dealer and look at a Vaquero.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks buddy, I got some time to think about it though. Had to lay my bike (in the picture) down to avoid a truck who pulled out in front of me. Totaled it. I've been home for a week licking my wounds. Once I heal up enough though......

See ya.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stessel, wow! I was talking waaaayyyy outta my ass! Just watched a youtube vid on Vaquero with mini apes, the fairing is as you say it is! For some reason I thought differently. Musta been looking at too many bikes. So now I'm bummed all over again. Guess it's the Chucksters.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There are plenty of owners who run apes on Voyagers or Vaq's. But like I said in the other thread, they have to be Santee Apes, which have a particular shape to them - kicked back a little from the risers before bending upwards, so they won't hit the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts