Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a small problem that I am hoping someone has a quick fix for. On my front exhaust pipe, I had something get kicked up off the road and stick to the pipe. I have no clue how long its been there, but it is more or less baked on. The spot is on the out of sight on the underside of the pipe, but its one of those things where I know its there so it bugs me.

Anyway, does anyone know of a polish or anything to get that off? I've tried a few things, but I don't want to end up doing any damage while trying to get it off.

Thanks for the help.

PB

·
Registered
719 Posts
Usually you scrap off the heavy stuff with a new razor blade and metal polish will remove the remainder. I just cleaned some fried bugs off of my pipes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had a couple of instances of something of the same sort on the underside of one of my pipes, and I have a few different cleaners always laying around ... one of which usually will get the job done without hurting the chrome.

I used Scootworks take it off wet or dry one one of the spots and it actually cleaned it up pretty good (surprised the heck out of me that it loosened it up like it did as it looked pretty cooked on there ). I have also used Flitz (I get it at one of the local gun shops). One time I actually used Macquire's paint cleaner (aka clearcoat cleaner, clearcoat scrubber, etc) to get a stubborn spot off part of the chrome and it did a great job. Of course there is always the old standby SimiChrome. With any of the cleaners I alway make sure I put some time between the cleaning and starting it back up and heating things up. I usually wipe it down a couple of extra times as well to make sure I am not leaving any residue behind that might cause its own set of problems.

I have been lucky so far that one of these has always did the trick, and the chrome still looks blemish free and like it did when it rolled out of the dealer. Best of luck ... nothing worse than knowing there is crud baked on your chrome ... even if you are the only one that has seen it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flitz works great.
That is for sure! It really is amazing the number of things that Flitz will resurrect. I have taken just about everything imaginable that is metal in stages of decline ... and just about every time Flitz will have it looking almost new again. I stumbled onto it years ago to get some burn marks off of a gun ... since then I have been using it on just about everything. Great stuff for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts