Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys and gals, I'm a new girl in town. Just picked up a 2013 Vulcan Classic 900, with the pearl white and matte black. LOVE IT. Even though I wasn't crazy about the whitewall tires, they are growing on me with every ride. Heck, I wouldn't care if they were lime green as long as they ride and handle as well as they do now!

I'm not going to ask the obvious question as to WHAT exhaust I should get...rather I am curious whether you guys would vote black exhaust or chrome. I think the extra chrome may make the colors pop? Maybe black exhaust wouldn't show up as well?

I've already pretty much narrowed down my exhaust choice and know what I want, but I want to know what others would and have put on their Classic 900s with less chrome components and more blacked out look.

I'm sure you guys know what my bike looks like, but here's a pic just in case. Sorry about the quality and the fork reflector.

Just taking a vote... black pipes or chrome?! THANK YOU!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Since the bike is blacked out, I would vote for black exhaust (either in matte or black chrome). If you decide on black exhaust, think about painting your turn signals black (matte). JMHO. BTW, welcome and enjoy your new ride, it's a great riding bike.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am with Bosco on this one. You bought one that has you most of the way there. Go a head and finish why Kaw did not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot, I was hoping a vote would make this easier on me...

Might as well throw it out there that the pipes I'm leaning towards are the V&H Big Radius 2 into 2. Of course they only come in chrome. I like the different shape, pipe diameter, and sound. But black pipes would look niiiice too... Dang.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
I'd say that unless you really love the all black finish, go with chrome, you have enough black on the bike already.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If it is in price range freedom performance has some nice looking pipe that come in chrome or black but I think they are around 6 Bens

·
Registered
29 Posts
I kinda like the blacked-out look, but it really depends on the bike. Your bike however, is perfect for chrome. The chrome stands out more with the matte. Matte pipes will, in so many words, take away from the "theme" of the bike. Just my 2 bits. Looks amazing BTW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys! I've seen a few tidbits here and there about Freedom Performance but I don't know enough about them to throw down $600+ for exhaust. But then again, if they're suggested here by fellow riders, then I'm sure they're worth it.

Just looking to improve the looks and sound of the bike without going overboard. I know most aftermarket pipes are loud, and I can get baffles. All the research I did seems to point towards the V&H Big Radius for a nice rumble without being obnoxiously loud.

I'm open to any and all suggestions though!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I kinda like the blacked-out look, but it really depends on the bike. Your bike however, is perfect for chrome. The chrome stands out more with the matte. Matte pipes will, in so many words, take away from the "theme" of the bike. Just my 2 bits. Looks amazing BTW.
You have a good point. I personally like the "Twin Slash Cut" pipes V&H has. Don't know about sound or anything but with them being black with the chrome tips and chrome brand label I think it has enough pop to be noticed but enough black to go with the scheme (IMO)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I've seen a few tidbits here and there about Freedom Performance but I don't know enough about them to throw down $600+ for exhaust. But then again, if they're suggested here by fellow riders, then I'm sure they're worth it.

Just looking to improve the looks and sound of the bike without going overboard. I know most aftermarket pipes are loud, and I can get baffles. All the research I did seems to point towards the V&H Big Radius for a nice rumble without being obnoxiously loud.

I'm open to any and all suggestions though!
I have never heard them, I am only going on cosmetics. The V&H Big Shot pipes I had on my Mean Streak was pretty loud with the standard baffles but you can get quieter one for them. I don't know about the curved pipes though.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
I have the V&H Twin Slash Cuts on my 900 classic and they are pretty loud, not obnoxiously so, but I love the sound. I am pretty sure that that baffles are removed from them (they were on the bike when I bought it).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last question for this thread... since the bike is literally brand spanking new, can I get away with NOT replacing the gaskets when I put the new pipes on?

If I do need to get new gaskets, can someone point me to the right type/website to get them?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Chrome?

Last question for this thread... since the bike is literally brand spanking new, can I get away with NOT replacing the gaskets when I put the new pipes on?

If I do need to get new gaskets, can someone point me to the right type/website to get them?

Thanks guys...
I'm a chrome fanatic and enjoy how it makes a bike glisten, especially at night. For about $3.00 why not put new gaskets in? Each pipe is made just a wee bit different and that difference may make you be delayed in your 1st ride with the new pipes! JMHO

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can find great deals online for any type. I got my Freedom sharp curve from Amazon 513$. Ad says black MK00001, which confuses me coz MK00001 is P\N for chrome. Hey, I don't care either color comes to me.
Your bike would look better with chrome but the blacked out look is also great for the color combo you got going on...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a '12 900 classic. The white walls definitely grew on me too. I'd say go with black. I've done a few mods and the one thing that bugs me the most are the studs on my tank panel. I should have gotten the all black one. In fact, I wish I could get rid of most of the chrome. I always get complements on the blacked out look. The '13 would look even badder with the black exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
Def black on that bike!! And I changed my pipes with around 1500 miles on it and the gaskets were in excellent shape!! But yeah, the v&h with chrome trim would look awesome, I think!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would like to see chrome in those short curly pipes on this bike, anything else, blaaaack... I would also paint those rims black as well...:cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts