Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my oil change which I neglected to do in the beginning of winter and noticed that my rectifier cover in front of the oil filter was a little rusty. No fear figured I. I have spray paint. So I sanded it down to the metal past the rust and then just lightly scuffed the rest of it. I was out of self-etching primer, oh well it is just the rec cover and not extremely visible so if it doesn't turn out perfect big deal. And I can always repaint it. Well the only black I had was some flat black and since the frame isn't flat I thought that might look weird. But I did have a can of silver and a can of "CHROME!!!!!" And since I am one of 'those' people who believes you can't ever have too much chrome I figured I would give it a shot.

Now I know that the biggest part of painting is prep. Get that surface smooth and do lots of sanding and wet sanding in between coats. So as of right now I have painted, sanded with 400 to knock things down. Painted and wet-sanded with 800. Painted and wet-sanded with 1000. That is still drying and is going to for at least 1 day if not 2. Which then I plan to do at least 2 more coats getting to the final 2000 grit wet-sanding stage. Then let it sit for awhile, like week before waxing. I have read so far online that clear coat will make it worse, actually dull it. And that was from a guy who knew prep was key for making rattlecan paint look good.

So far it looks like shiny silver paint. Definitely not mirror, but I am not expecting it to just yet.

So I plan to continue on with this and will check in later.

But a question I have to people is this. At the bike shows I always see those booth guys with their magic products, jacks that you can pirouette a dresser Harley on, clothes for your biker bitch to wear that makes her look like Kim Kardashian, and chrome in a can. You can chrome anything with this. And they have dozens examples of things where half of the object is dripping wet shine of chrome. I am not sure of the brand, but has anybody bought this stuff. I just see it and usually walk by. But now I am interested in it. I am going to the Donny Smith show next week and maybe those guys will be there. If I could get them to spray something in front of me so I could see it in action.

So has anybody used this stuff before?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I tried that stuff before and believe me, it doe not come out like a properly chromed item. The best ai could get was a slightly better than dull finish. Sort of a slightly polished look, but not that nice mirror finish.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I painted some rusty rims with chrome paint once. Definitely wasn't chrome. But they did look nice.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I tried that stuff before and believe me, it doe not come out like a properly chromed item. The best ai could get was a slightly better than dull finish. Sort of a slightly polished look, but not that nice mirror finish.
Plus one .... same results for me..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You won't get a good chrome look out of an aerosol can, but this is probably more what they used at the show booth you saw...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Naw the stuff at the booth was in a spray can, it wasn't something that you would use with a real spray gun.

To Whiting and Nomad, the results you got. Was that with doing the prep sanding line I described that I was going to do?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Did they demo that stuff at the show or did they just have finished stuff displayed ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts