Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a question. I have tried to search for this and haven't found any answers, so I figured I'd post my story. Maybe someone has some insight. So I purchased this fender eliminator kit from eBay for my 2015 Vulcan custom https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281904356320 . I cut the wires from the stock turn signals, and the license plate constant, unhooked the stock plate holder, and attached the after market pretty flawlessly. Hers where the problem lies, now I can't get my brake light to work. The plate mount only had 3 wires black, blue, and yellow. There was nothing to mount to the constant (which was red) from the license plate, and there was nothing to hook up to each of the negatives that were associate with each blinker. The brake lights kick on when I put the bike in accessories but will not light when I have the bike running on in the on position, and The blinkers WILL in the on position. I'm gonna upload a photo to show you how I have it wired. If anyone at all can help it would be greatly appreciated. https://imgur.com/gallery/7A2ygO6

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have this on mine. I didn't come across any issues like this. In your picture you don't have the license plate holder so there is no need for the constant on running light power source. The LED's can come in 2 flavors, single color and dual color. The dual color will be for run/brake/turn, it looks like you have the single color just for the turn function which would be the 3 wires, LH+, RH+ and gnd. Also, since this is single color, no constant power source needed. If memory serves, I tied all my grounds together. The rear indicators should be 2 wire only, so where did the black and red wires originate from in your picture?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this on mine. I didn't come across any issues like this. In your picture you don't have the license plate holder so there is no need for the constant on running light power source. The LED's can come in 2 flavors, single color and dual color. The dual color will be for run/brake/turn, it looks like you have the single color just for the turn function which would be the 3 wires, LH+, RH+ and gnd. Also, since this is single color, no constant power source needed. If memory serves, I tied all my grounds together. The rear indicators should be 2 wire only, so where did the black and red wires originate from in your picture?
The red and black that are left unhooked are for the constant plate light and the black is for the ground that was attached to the plate light.i bought an aftermarket led plate frame that had 3 wires a wire for the plate, a wire for the brake, and a ground. Even after hooking that up to the ppate constant nothing will work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your pic only shows the turn signal wires on the chrome glow kit. Tie all the grounds together from both the factory L and R turn signal feeds and the single led black wire. The yellow and blue will be the L and R for the led strip tied into the factory L and R signal wires. There is nothing else to hook up there. The red and black running light wire you had cut are for a license plate light, but you don't say what you are using for that. If your factory brake or tail light are not working, start checking fuses and wire connections. The turn signal circuit is going to be different from the brake and running light. If you haven't done the diode mod for the turn indicator lamp in the speedo assy, you will need to.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Post a pic or a link of the license plate frame you plan on using. Just for comparison here is the wiring on mine. The first is the turn signal and the other is for license plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a pic or a link of the license plate frame you plan on using. Just for comparison here is the wiring on mine. The first is the turn signal and the other is for license plate.

ok so here is what I did. I unhooked all the posi connectors that I had been using and just wired the blinker and all the grounds together with exposed wires and the blinker works. Left and right work when the bike is in the on and running position.

I went back and unhooked the plate and frame. which comes with 3 wires a blue wire for the brake lights, a red light for the constant plate light, and a ground.

the red wire I hooked to the red wire that came from the bike to the red wire from the plate kit with a posi connector, the blue wire I used another posi connector to connect to the brake right at the brake light to the blue wire that came off the plate kit , and then I took the ground and connected it to the other ground wires I had wired together. still, the brake will not light up at all when the bike is turned on.

the constant plate light and the brake light will however still light up when the bike is in the accessories position.

i truly do not know what it is that i am missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
This sentence has me a little confused.

the blue wire I used another posi connector to connect to the brake right at the brake light to the blue wire that came off the plate kit

A few questions - does the factory fender bulb, if it's still installed, work correctly - both brake and running?

Have you just hooked a battery to the plate holder and verified both the running light and brake light segments work? This is the first thing I would do just to verify each segment works independently of each other.

Have you checked fuses and/or presence of voltage? In the last pic you posted, is the red and black tied together or was that just a funny angle?

the constant plate light and the brake light will however still light up when the bike is in the accessories position.

Should only be the running light in the accessory position, not both brake and running.

Here is the circuit in the simplest form.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts