Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
have this on the 500 board but thought I'd throw it here also (kinda bored today). wanted to make an old style chopper out of a 500. here are photos of the progress to date.

certainly doesn't look like much here

gathering some pieces

some 10" over fork tubes. thx Frank!

huge sissy bar

just getting a rolling frame to go stretch and rake

wow, HUGE difference with the frame now

sissy bar and back fender on

FINALLY found the right tank and good bars

working on seat now. should be done with seat and front in a few weeks. dang weather.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i know this is an older thread, but what the heck. that bike is sweet! makes me wish i still had my vulcan 500 to chop out. good job so far. i always loved the old-style king & queen seats.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know this is an older thread, but what the heck. that bike is sweet! makes me wish i still had my vulcan 500 to chop out. good job so far. i always loved the old-style king & queen seats.
thanks! it's a work in progress but I am very happy with how it's looking.

was slowed up for a few weeks waiting on parts and weather. Seat pan goes to upholsterers tomorrow and should have fwd controls mounted by next week ... then body and swing arm off to powder coaters!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
looks good! hey quick question.. i have an 01 vulcan 500 im currently bobbin out.. its my first bike so im still learning here as i go... i know the stock rear tire is 140/90/15... can i run a 150/80/15 or even a 170/80/15 on the stock rear wheel? thanks in advance

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks good! hey quick question.. i have an 01 vulcan 500 im currently bobbin out.. its my first bike so im still learning here as i go... i know the stock rear tire is 140/90/15... can i run a 150/80/15 or even a 170/80/15 on the stock rear wheel? thanks in advance
thx!

I am not the one to ask that. Ask Bikerbill. He knows everything. literally.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 26625

ok! How'd you dent the tank? It's not in all the pics.
yeah. I took the engine out to make it easier to move around so it was light. the kick stand doesn't have the same deep angle as it had before because of the stretch. we welded it a bit to shorten it up but it's still high. So it's sitting in the Oklahoma wind and light with not much tilt and a gust of wind knocked it over.

my bad. I will knock it out or fill it in. meh, won't make it ride any different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice scoot, looking forward to it.

I myself am working on a Vulcan 800/10" over Springer.
I'm using less up-stretch and more rake, but I'm doing the same thing, adding a downtube on top of the rad support.

Quick question.
I too am using GMA controls.
Have you found a solution for the clutch cable yet?
My GMA clutch perch is setup for HD style Eyelet cable end, I've yet to figure out how to adapt the Kaw cable.

Motion-Pro will make a custom one, however.

What will you be doing?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, it's an issue. all of my cables hafta be totally replaced.

I know it doesn't seem all that important but I want yellow shielded cables so I am ordering the armor from the internet for master cylinder and throttles and clutch then we're fabbing them.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing your ride. I will check out the 800 site. Good luck!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
had to sand and primer everything because all this rain we're getting is rusting everything up.

so, I also mocked up paint scheme ideas with a rattlecan.

3 weeks or so to completion!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts