Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up a 2002 Vulcan EN 500 that had the carburetors stolen from it and apparently the choke cable setup as well. Got a good price on the bike, now trying to retrofit replacement carburetors on it and whatever else it needs related to that. I'm confused about the choke or fuel enrichment setup and haven't been able to find a good HD picture that shows it all. Does it use a choke cable with knob that attaches to a bracket mounted somewhere? I'm sure I could buy the parts off of ebay if I knew what to get. Need some help with this. I've looked at bikebandit for a picture or parts breakdown of it but wasn't much help.

Appreciate it
Larry

After further review, I think I have figured it out. The carburetors I bought are from a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 500 and I knew there would be a few issues but nothing major, the choke is one of those issues since the Ninja 500 uses a choke lever on the handlebars and the Vulcan doesn't. I'll figure something out on that. The other issue was going to be the airbox boot hookup since the ninja 500 uses 34mm carbs instead of 32mm carbs. I bought used Ninja airbox 34mm boots and they fit the Vulcan airbox perfectly so that interface connection should work out ok. The intake manifold side is the same size on both carburetors and bikes for the Ninja and Vulcan so there is no issue there. There were so very few used carburetors on ebay for Vulcan 500s but tons of really nice carburetors for the Ninja 500s so I went with the Ninja 500 carbs. May have to do some rejetting but I doubt it. I'm not looking for perfection just want it to run decent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The original was just a lever on the left carb you pulled out 1 click for half choke, 2 clicks for full. They were not really a choke, but an enricher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the picture. What I found out was these bikes really don't need a lot of choke or fuel enrichment for starting. I just slide the fuel enrichment slider over to full choke by hand and it fired right up with these Ninja 500r 34mm carburetors. Choked it for maybe 30-45 seconds and then it would idle on it's own. Purred liked a kitten after sitting since 2006. Idle is perfect and revs up real good, haven't driven it yet, need to get it registered and licensed, but so far so good. I like it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts