Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most bikes I have had, once the bike is warm and you pull out the choke knob (enriching), the bike sputters/floods and dies. I just replaced this bike with a new choke mechanism (plunger and cable). Now when the bike is warm and I pull out the choke knob, the bike increases in rpm and doesn't cough or sputter--just increases in rpm. Otherwise bike runs good, no popping, no backfiring, no bogging.

I'm fixing to pull the carb again (pesky bowl gasket leaking) so is there any thing I need to do while the carb is off? Or can the lack of sputtering/dying be normal? Any thoughts/guidance?

Stock jetting, stock air intake, Cobra pipes w/baffles in, 2000' altitude. Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Most bikes I have had, once the bike is warm and you pull out the choke knob (enriching), the bike sputters/floods and dies. I just replaced this bike with a new choke mechanism (plunger and cable). Now when the bike is warm and I pull out the choke knob, the bike increases in rpm and doesn't cough or sputter--just increases in rpm.
Out of my knowdlege, this could indicate a lean condition.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update: Installed next larger size pilot jet (50) and that corrected the problem. Now when I pull the choke out a little, rpms increase like Vulcandoc said, but pull it out all the way, it sputters badly, which is what I was used to. I was also able to better dial in my fuel mixture screw. It was at 4 1/2 turns out, now back to 2 1/2. For all those who say rejecting is not necessary with just aftermarket pipes, this bike with these particular Cobra tapered pipes (with baffles) did require a pilot jet change when the fuel screw alone would not remedy the lean condition.

Now I'm fixing to Grampsize so it all gets tuned differently now. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts