Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a V2K Classic and there is a chirping noise under load coming from the left side of the engine. It doesn't do it at all when I let off the throttle, only under a load. Any ideas from the gurus on where to start when I get a chance to troubleshoot it? Is this a common issue with these bikes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I checked the belt tonight when i got off work and it does appear to be loose but I wont know for sure without putting a force guage on it. That may be what it is but it seems likethe noise is coming from around the forward cylinder head. I will adjust the belt tomorrow and see it that makes it stop

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was just wondering if captHowdy ever found his noise??? I also have this noise at certain loads. It is not a belt, Ive went as far as to replace it with an after market. No change. It sounds as if it is coming from the clutch basket. Ive torn it down twice with no results.. Any ideas...Three dealers just scratch there heads...

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Hey BD, how were you able to duplicate it for the dealers? Did they put it on a lift and start it?

And it only happens at certain RPMs?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Smedlin, The chirping is high frequency and only under a load driving 50 -58 mph (any gear) goes away at 60 mph. Then comes back at 70 thru 75. Above 75, purrs like a kitten.
Two of the three dealers test drove it and said yes theres a problem. But no we dont know what it is. The third dealer I paid them to put it on the dyno and to track down the source of the noise. I was told it's coming from the front pulley shaft. So I pulled the shaft and replaced both bearing. I found nothing out of the ordinary. And the noise remains the same.
If you feather the clutch at 50 mph the noise is gone. Let off the throttle and it's gone...When I run it on my lift with no load, no noise. I have pulled the primary and rotor out and find nothing that might be causing this. What am I missing?

Thanks for the interest. This thing is kicking my butt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with the S&S belt.

The belt rides to to the outside of the pulley. I thought it was chirping on the outside pressed steel lip of the front pulley. So i shimed the front pulley out to see if it made any differance. No change. I wont admit this openly but I even used lip balm on the outside edge of the belt. No change in pitch.

I've set it everywhere from the the factory spec 2-4mm to 3/8"- 1/2". No change in the pitch of the noise. Just added or reduced a different belt noise. All the dealers thought the belt tension was set ok.

I still think its coming from the clutch or basket.

·
4,905 Posts
Just those speeds.. no matter the gear...hmm.

Does the sound (pitch, tone, etc) change with an increase of speed?

You said it happens at 2 separate speed ranges. Is both times exactly the same sound? Same time frequency?

You said when you put it on a lift, and run up to those speeds, no sound?? That would eliminate the belt.. cause the belt will squeal even on a lift.

What lift do you have? My lift, I can actually sit on the bike and rev it, while it's up in the air. I'd be curious, if you have NO weight on the back wheel, but still sitting on the bike, does it make that sound.

What year is it? How many miles? Any major mods? (like a drop kit or aftermarket shock)

Speaking of shocks, what setting is yours at?

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,if the noise was coming from the engine or clutch you would expect a change in noise with different gears.you say there is not.the belts can make quiet a noise.i use a wurth product called PTFE dry lube. really does fix a noisy belt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chirp

My 2003 1600 has this issue but it seems to be effected by the gas I buy. So I was planning on adjusting my tuner a little richer cause I thought it was Ping.

Since I don't have a belt.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Did you check the pulley/output shaft spines for ANY sins of wear, pitting, rust etc?
Pulley must fit tight on the output shaft with no slop...over torqueing nut will not help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The "chirping " you are hearing is more then likely just the injectors.
We have noisey ones, and from what I have found out, this is normal for the VN2000.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Smedlin, The two speeds are where the noise is the loudest. If I pay attention I can slightly hear the noise coming in around 35 to 40.

The pitch just gets louder or softer.

Does the frequency change at differant speeds? Its not alot but I believe it does. I need to comfirm this.

My lift is a Red Rhino table lift. I was not sitting on the bike when I ran it up to speed. When I get a chance I'll try it and report back.

The Bike is an 07 bone stock classic LT that just turned 2000 miles. I bought it at 1200 miles. The bike was put in climate controlled storage for several years. (was the story I got) It looked as if it just drove off the show room floor.

I recently pushed the shock settings close to max. But that did not effect the noise at all.

Hi sfair, I pulled the pulley shaft and replaced the bearing. The shaft was perfect.

Pearhead, I've heard noisy injectors before. This noise is so loud (in the sweet spot) that other riders can hear it from a good distance away.

·
4,905 Posts
With only 2k miles on it, not much should really be mechanically wrong.

(you sound like a guy who would have already changed all the fluids n stuff and have given the bike several "once overs")

The fact that when you pull in the clutch and the noise goes away, rules out a lot of things.

The noise you describe, REALLY sounds like the belt chirping.

The rear wheel position indicators are aligned to same marks on both sides, yes? Belt should be running to the left side of the rear pulley, but not HARD left. The belt does not actually touch the left side of the pulley, it just more to the left than to the right. If the wheel is not aligned, it will make the belt chirp.

With the bike sitting on the ground, push up on the bottom of the belt. Should be about a quarter inch play. Most people tend to over-tighten it, making it banjo string tight. That's bad for things, and will make the belt chirp.

Like wise, if the belt is to lose, it will make the belt chirp.

When I switched out my wheels/rims last year (did it myself), I had the famous "chirp" or "squeal". First time in ever I've had it (an 04 model, that I'm the original owner). But.. I DID have the bike torn down, swing arm off and all that stuff. So, I just simply played around with the tension, making sure to keep it aligned as well. The noise went away.

And yea, the chirp is loud. Riders around me could hear it. And it didn't do it ALL the time, only at certain speeds. And only under "load"

1 - 20 of 60 Posts