Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing ebay for various accessories for my '07 900 Custom, when I happened upon a Sissybar/luggage rack combo for $100. This price seemed outrageously good, but the catch is it's a no-name brand from a Hong Kong based seller.

My question is, does anyone have experience with these Chinese "knock-off" accessories? Are they safe and will they last longer than 6 months? I would love to deck my bike out with Kuryakyn, Cobra and Baron parts, but I'm on a budget.

This is the Sissy bar/Luggage Rack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backrest-Sissy-Bar-for-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN900-Custom-Classic-06-09-07-08-newr-/200953160511?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec9bde33f&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Look at the shipping price and the fact that you won't get it for a month. Then, if you don't like it, YOU pay again to ship it back!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's hit and miss. Mutazu, for example, is pretty good. Not super high quality, but decent for the price if you don't beat up on it. The biggest issue with chinese chrome stuff is that it's thin chrome or even painted-on chrome. However that looks a little 'deeper' like plated chrome.

Hopefully someone chimes in who has bought that, otherwise you'll have to be the guinea pig!

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I have one that I had on for a while but have since removed. I bought it for when my wife decides to hop on the back of the bike and since she has yet to do so I removed it as I prefer the look of the bike without it. This is the one I got and I think I got it for like $130 shipped or so. It's alright, I had to buy some longer bolts to attach it since that factory ones weren't long enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN-900-VN900-Classic-Sissy-Bar-Backrest-with-Luggage-Rack-/150792846622?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231bf43d1e&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a particularly big fan of the sissy bar look on the Custom. Like Sand_Man,I was only going to have it in the even my wife joined me on a long ride.

I have seen other chrome goodies that drastically undercut retail prices on ebay. Grips, pegs, floorboards, etc. I guess for the low prices, I can be a guinea pig.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I bought some smoked lens covers off ebay (I think, maybe amazon?) they didn't come close to fitting without cutting the diameter down where they fit into the signal housings. The overall quality of the lens was also inferior to the stock parts. As for now, they're still sitting on the shelf, not sure if I want to spend the time machining all four of them to fit just for the smoked look when the factory parts are made better.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I bought some smoked lens covers off ebay (I think, maybe amazon?) they didn't come close to fitting without cutting the diameter down where they fit into the signal housings. The overall quality of the lens was also inferior to the stock parts. As for now, they're still sitting on the shelf, not sure if I want to spend the time machining all four of them to fit just for the smoked look when the factory parts are made better.
I just got some smoke turn signals that I got from ebay and they fit perfect. This is the auction I got them from. I bought 2 pairs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoke-Turn-Signal-Lenses-For-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Classic-LT-Custom-2006-2012-/151094302664?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=151094302664&nma=true&si=mp9ropUNIyIKVx8exn2d%2F8DrhxI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have purchased a few items (non-motorcycle) off e-bay that came from China and it's hit or miss. The one item I did purchase (from china) were my saddle bag brackets (before my hard bags) and the were excellent quality. I was not expecting much for the price ($22), but the welds and chrome plating were top notch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a curved heat shield from China for my headers on the VL800 when I added new pipes. It came very quickly (with a free pen) and did the job very well. I'd buy one of those sissy bars above for the Custom as my Mrs. would probably only go on the back a couple of times so it would spend it's days mostly in the garage! Some anti Chinese thinking is not based on experience and some is, as was said above. Mind, cheap is cheap. Some aftermarket at the other end is overpriced. If you don't use much and not in the wet, cheap chrome can fit the bill. Style-wise - that item looks as good as any IMO. If you carry a pillion a lot and will keep it on the bike, I would go for the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
236 Posts
in my case, living in canada, it's usually cheaper to order from china than it is to order from the us.
most of the time i get free shipping from china
and when i order form the us, they always want more for shipping than the actual cost of the item

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think it's safe to say you get what you pay for......but then again it seems EVERYTHING is made in china now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Not everything in China is made equal though. There are American designed factories operating within very tight specs using cheap Chinese labor, then there are cheap Chinese owned accessory/junk factories.

So there IS a difference between a decently made product by a name brand that happens to be made in china, and a knockoff chinese no-name made in China!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with "you get what you pay for". I bought an engine guard/highway bar for a pretty low price and was very satisfied at first. Over time it has rusted completely and looks terrible. I should have spent more from a reputable company.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts