Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do you guys/gals push the limit on this? I did mine at 6K. Now at 12K + 200 mi. Running real short on time these days. Just wondering. :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How far do you guys/gals push the limit on this? I did mine at 6K. Now at 12K + 200 mi. Running real short on time these days. Just wondering. :)
I've let mine go to once in the spring.I used to put around 10000 miles on a season with no problems.The last adjustment check I done in the spring ther was very little change from the year before. :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
How far do you guys/gals push the limit on this?

Just wondering. :)
24,000 miles. But I only did this after I knew absolutely that the valves had finished 'seating' themselves in the seats.

When the engine is new the valves and seats have to 'wear together' and this causes the valve lash/clearance to close up (get tight). This is why it is imperative that the first few valve clearance checks be done on time, every time. When the valve lash/clearance has settled and the 'valve adjustments' become 'valve checks' only then would I consider going longer between checks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
24,000 miles. But I only did this after I knew absolutely that the valves had finished 'seating' themselves in the seats.

When the engine is new the valves and seats have to 'wear together' and this causes the valve lash/clearance to close up (get tight). This is why it is imperative that the first few valve clearance checks be done on time, every time. When the valve lash/clearance has settled and the 'valve adjustments' become 'valve checks' only then would I consider going longer between checks.

Hope this helps.
When I bought my Rebel 250, I didn't hear any clicking noise. On a rebel forum I learned that means the valves need to be adjusted because there should be a clicking, almost like a sewing machine noise, when the proper gap exists. I adjusted them and began hearing that clicking.

Does the Vulcan 500 also make a clicking noise that goes away when the valves are too tight?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When I bought my Rebel 250, I didn't hear any clicking noise. On a rebel forum I learned that means the valves need to be adjusted because there should be a clicking, almost like a sewing machine noise, when the proper gap exists. I adjusted them and began hearing that clicking.

Does the Vulcan 500 also make a clicking noise that goes away when the valves are too tight?
Yes it does. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just completed checking/adjusting my valves at 12271 miles. The intakes were same as when adjusted at 6K mi. Exhausts had closed up 0.001 to 0.0015 inches ........ so I'm glad I elected to check them. Spark plugs looked great. Doing a few other periodic maintenance items and looking forward to riding another 6K mi before doing any other significant work on the bike. It is a great machine.(I know, y'all already knew that! :D) ............Old

1 - 6 of 6 Posts