Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a post that there is a spring in the neutral light that could be causing the light to go off and on when the bike is in neutral on a Vulcan 2000. Does anyone know how to remove the plate on top of the gas tank to get to the light? Does the tank have to be removed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the spring they are referring to is in the transmission, neutral switch. if you locate the wire from the switch it should be easy with a multimeter to test.the connecter is under the seat beside the shock according to the manual. it is a 3 pin connector/green wire for the neutral light. if you don't have a manual it shouldn't be hard to find a download. the neutral bulb is replaceable in the speedo assy.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Here's where to look:
http://vn2000.com/pages/eurogear.htm

In the third pic down, the pin in question and the spring behind it are clearly seen. These get stuck, and the bike doesn't know it's in neutral. Very common, in fact mine does it, and I'll be replacing the pin & spring soon (If I'm going that far in, I'm putting in new parts, especially since they're cheap). To get there you have to drain the oil and most of the coolant, and remove the exhaust, so it's a several hour job (at least for me).

I think these are the right part numbers:
92043-0085 Pin
92144-1245 Spring
I'd change the gaskets, too. They're listed on the site above.

If you're thinking about doing euro gears, this would be the time to do that as well.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
And you have to be sure when you replace the parts they go in the proper orientation. I think it's the pin that can be put in backwards and causes problems with the indicator showing properly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I read in a post that there is a spring in the neutral light that could be causing the light to go off and on when the bike is in neutral on a Vulcan 2000. Does anyone know how to remove the plate on top of the gas tank to get to the light? Does the tank have to be removed?
I don't know if you have opened the cover or not yet. It happened to me two times that the Neutral light stopped to work. In both cases it got fixed replacing the oil. Both times it happened at the end of the oil's life. A week after replacing the oil in both cases it started working again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts