Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride yesterday and decided to pop in for a break and check out the latest offerings.

The way HD implemented the liquid cooling is pretty impressive. The put two radiators on the bike. One in each lower fairing so they are barely noticeable. When the fans kick on the air is channeled out openings in the outer edge of the lower fairings so it stays away from the rider.

They are only cooling the heads like the Vulcan 1700s, and are only adding the cooling to the full dressers that come with the lowers so obviously it is for rider comfort rather than engine performance.

They also added a new vent in the fairing to get more ambient air to the rider.

Of course the salesman said that the new models are $3000 more than the '13 models.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Speaking of which, i sat on the new Indians and was amazed how nice and well balanced the one with the fairing felt, prbably my dream bike when i hit the lotto, ofcourse that changes over time....ride on...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
They really did a good job of hiding the hoses too. Which IS a good thing.

Some of the guys I know that were mad about HD going liquid have since calmed down.

Both say they will never buy one.:D But,"at least they didn't screw up the look too bad". LOL

Scott

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I was out for a ride yesterday and decided to pop in for a break and check out the latest offerings.

The way HD implemented the liquid cooling is pretty impressive. The put two radiators on the bike. One in each lower fairing so they are barely noticeable. When the fans kick on the air is channeled out openings in the outer edge of the lower fairings so it stays away from the rider.

They are only cooling the heads like the Vulcan 1700s, and are only adding the cooling to the full dressers that come with the lowers so obviously it is for rider comfort rather than engine performance.

Of course the salesman said that the new models are $3000 more than the '13 models.
$3 Grand more!? Wow, that's a Large increase for one year! They were already $7000 too high, and add $3000 to that and now they $10,000 TOO EFFING HIGH.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Harley isn't really 'only cooling the heads like a Vulcan 1700'.
Harley just has a coolant passage around the exhaust valve seat area, Vulcan 1700 has a coolant jacket in the head that covers the entire combustion area. And contrary to Kawasaki's advertising, the Vulcan 1700 cylinders are liquid cooled as well, the top 1 inch or so of each cylinder is completely surrounded with a coolant jacket.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harley isn't really 'only cooling the heads like a Vulcan 1700'.
Harley just has a coolant passage around the exhaust valve seat area, Vulcan 1700 has a coolant jacket in the head that covers the entire combustion area. And contrary to Kawasaki's advertising, the Vulcan 1700 cylinders are liquid cooled as well, the top 1 inch or so of each cylinder is completely surrounded with a coolant jacket.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just repeating what the salesman said. I am not interested in buying one so I haven't done any research on the change.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
A friend of mine with the new HD, he says where his highway pegs are is where the hot air comes out of the lower faring where the radiators are. He is not happy about that but loves the new HD.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will buy a Vulcan any day over a HD as why would I want something that so many have I want something different and reliable and exactly what I got and for less money and better looking bike if you ask me,

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I will buy a Vulcan any day over a HD as why would I want something that so many have I want something different and reliable and exactly what I got and for less money and better looking bike if you ask me,
Good point. I do think some of the HD models are beautiful, with fantastic paint jobs and chrome. That said, I can't get past the reliability factor (the stator fails often, cam chain tensioner, etc, etc), and the fact they cost anywhere from $7K to $10K more than you can get a comparable Vulcan for. Granted, the msrp's are not that far apart, but Vulcans can be found at huge discounts off msrp. Harleys, fat chance of finding a discount.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe the liquid cooled models actually do have a bit more horsepower. They are 'tuned' differently (and perhaps even higher compression I thought someone said at some point?) to develop more power; taking advantage of liquid cooled exhaust valves and heads. Supposedly they were hitting a wall in terms of performance with overheating the exhaust valves and heads, while trying to remain in a lean burn scenario for emissions. Liquid cooling enabled all of this.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The new HD my friend has... (who is a member in this forum by the way as he traded his new Voyager for it) is really nice. The new electronics package is unbelievable.... Nothing wrong with those new engines and models.... other than a bit pricey..... I will never own one but there is nothing wrong with a HD..... I rode them for over 20 years every day.... they are very reliable, and you can beat them to death in a pursuit and they keep on going.... the only time I had a vehicle failure was a broken belt..... I would put 70 - 80k very hard miles on them in 3 years before we got a new one... Not the fastest scoot in the pen, but you eventually got there....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Curious how they will eventually stack up to the indian. i'm thinking of getting either a street glide or indian but will always keep the 9

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Curious how they will eventually stack up to the indian. i'm thinking of getting either a street glide or indian but will always keep the 9
Hopefully Indian gets their dealer network in gear.

They have this fantastic network of Victory dealers; but instead of using them they want to 'differentiate the brand' by encouraging NEW Indian dealers and making it very costly for existing vic dealers to include the line. For me, right now, I'd have to drive a few hundred miles just to test ride one. And then- what if there's a recall? Or it needs warranty work?

Right now- it's a no for me. But I am excited to see where Indian goes.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just wanted to correct the salesman's comment about the new "mail slot" in the faring as it's been called by some. It's function is not for more air flow to the rider , it's to relieve the negative pressure behind the faring to reduce buffeting which I've heard it does vary well.

One of my favorite improvements was the new bag's. The new latch system (toilet flusher some call it ) is excellent, solid feeling with positive operation and easy one handed opening / closing.

The Street Glide special comes with the new big screen , linked brakes , hydroloic clutch.

Harley seems to be in an innovation mode recently , I believe Victory and Indian have made them step up there game.

I see Indian with an uphill challenge ,

There marketing strategy seems to limit them

There price point is about the same or more than the competition , they seem to be aimed squarely at Harley.

They don't really have an introductory bike in the line up , kinda all or nothing.

This is the 3rd , 4th or 5th resurrection of Indian , getting people to try it at this price point and limited support may be tough.

J

·
0 Posts
If I was going to spend $20,000 on one motorcycle, of those available at that price point, it'd be the Indian.

But, I'm not going to be spending $20,000 on any one motorcycle, soooo...never mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts