Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the absence of photos due to Photobucket. I am attempting to resolve the problem with another service provider.
The typical battery installation for a Vulcan 500 involves a two-stage attachment of the battery cables to the battery posts. Since this arrangement often results in a loose connection, and the intermittent stalls etc that such connections cause, this detailed explanation if offered with the hope of assisting Vn 500 owners in rectifying the problem.

I experienced a variety of symptoms, but in the end, I could start the bike, let it run for 3 minutes, have it die, tip it from side to side, or roll it forward and it would start. All of these movements were establishing temporary contact in the battery connections and then disrupting them again at the slightest movement or vibration. If you have erratic problems check this source.
- Battery poles have fasteners attaching an L shaped bracket to the battery post. This is attached by a horizontal bolt (fastener) that is not easily visible unless the battery is lifted from the battery box. This L shaped bracket is subsequently attached to the battery cables by a vertical bolt (fastener) visible from the top of the battery. It is not enough to check that the vertical fasteners are tight; often it is the horizontal fasteners, not as easily accessible, that are loose and the source of electrical problems.

In brief if you suspect an erratic electrical supply, check the battery connections, but . . . be sure and check all four (the two on top and the two on the side of the battery posts.). Remember battery posts are lead and thus soft. Do not overtighten, but once treated with locktite and tightened they should stay functional. I apologize for the excessive detail, but we have all seen this problem explained but not completely understood by the person standing on the side of the road, or frustrated with their new ride. Ride on, and safely. Tom

Reactions: Raci ARTUN

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely Sticky worthy! I've just had to fix this problem on my bike a couple days ago when it died in the rain! Those bottom screws are a royal pain to get at!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks, Let me know if you can suggest word or graphic changes that will clarify the subject. Its the Power of Powerpoint. Tom

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm still new to motorcycles, and didn't realize just how important the battery connections are to check. I thank you very much for the detailed instructions and graphic. I think I'll actually go check them now. :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks Peruano. I had battery connection issues on my new bike and they fixed it by tightening the places you mention (#2). I had a hard time understanding where they were, but now I know. Greatly appreciate you explaining it for us.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hermmm...

So, I might have just been really really tired when I tried to tighten my connections, but for some reason I had a hard time getting the battery out (in order to tighten bolt #2). Ancient chinese secret? Or should I just give it another shot when I'm not coming off of a double shift? :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zim, There is no secret - tight fit - vulcan rider with big hands. The secret is to lay a thin webbing strip below the battery once you have it lifted up or out so that you can merely lift on the strap thenext time. A couple of short lengths of parachute cord would work, just anything strong, soft, and not so thick as to further tighten the battery fit in such a small space. Tom

·
Registered
702 Posts
Zim, There is no secret - tight fit - vulcan rider with big hands. The secret is to lay a thin webbing strip below the battery once you have it lifted up or out so that you can merely lift on the strap thenext time. A couple of short lengths of parachute cord would work, just anything strong, soft, and not so thick as to further tighten the battery fit in such a small space. Tom
Hey, thanks Tom. I'm guessing the easiest way to get the strip in there in the first place is to thread it down and around the bottom of the battery in question. Shouldn't be horribly difficult. I only have difficulty with some of these simple things because the only time it's light enough to work on the bike, I should be sleeping. I appreciate your understanding. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
You'll need to get the battery out by hand first, then place a strap under it.
Yeah... I found that out when I looked under the seat for the second time. :p

I know I may seem needy, but I would like to know what the $&%@ the rubber "L" shaped part is, and why it has to be in the way of my battery coming out. I tried pulling, prying gently with a flathead screwdriver, and looking around for somewhere to push it out from underneath, and came up empty handed. Seems to me that it would be something like a battery cooler, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it's really in my way and I can't seem to be able to get the battery out with it installed.

Again, sorry I'm so needy. :(

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not sure which piece you're referring to off the top of my head except for possibly the air intake duct. Post a picture if that's an option. If not and nobody else answers this first, I might get a chance to pop the seat off mine tonight and remind myself what you're seeing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm not sure which piece you're referring to off the top of my head except for possibly the air intake duct. Post a picture if that's an option. If not and nobody else answers this first, I might get a chance to pop the seat off mine tonight and remind myself what you're seeing.
I will take a picture tonight and upload it tomorrow morning. Right now, the hay is calling since I'm due at work tonight. Though I will post a picture as soon as I can.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah... I found that out when I looked under the seat for the second time. :p

I know I may seem needy, but I would like to know what the $&%@ the rubber "L" shaped part is, and why it has to be in the way of my battery coming out. I tried pulling, prying gently with a flathead screwdriver, and looking around for somewhere to push it out from underneath, and came up empty handed. Seems to me that it would be something like a battery cooler, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it's really in my way and I can't seem to be able to get the battery out with it installed.

Again, sorry I'm so needy. :(
big rubber "L" shaped part I beleive would be part of the air box see this link bottom left of page part of 11038
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmo...vulcan-500-ltd-en500c7f-us/o/m10081#sch442318

·
Registered
702 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts