Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time no talk! I have owned a ton of bikes in my days riding.
Honda's, many Harley's, and a few Kawasaki's
The last Vulcan I owned was a super sweet 2000 1500FI Classic. I sold it because it had spoked wheels and I had a very bad experience with a blow out on the highway and a bunch of towing issues as a result. Anyway, had a few Harleys since then most notably an FLHTCU Ultra Classic. Too big, and not very comfortable because of the top heavyness.
Anyway, I just bought an absolute cream puff of a Vulcan.
Out of all the bikes I have ever owned I loved that 1500FI Vulcan.
This one is a 2004 Vulcan 750. It has a ton of add ons and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what was added based on the pictures.
It has 5K on it and it is flawless mint condition. Original owner. I am picking it up over the weekend. The original owner told me that all the add ons were done at the factory. I have never seen another 750 that looks like this one.
He mentioned $1000 full exhaust and it also has forward controls, floorboards, extra running lights in the front, a windscreen, fuel gauge, other gauges, factory clock, crash bars, etc... Bike has brand new tires.
If I could get some more info based on the pics that would be great.
I am so happy to be back riding a Vulcan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot. I can't wait to see it in person. My dad checked it out for me and its being delivered to his house. He lives a few hours from me.
I am really liking the looks of this bike and the performance of the Kawasaki bikes I have had in the past has been outstanding.
My dad told me that this bike sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
927 Posts
looks like you found a gem!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks just like my bike! except exhaust! mine has 33,000 miles and counting and i love it just fast enough to haul the mail and still small enough to handle and zip around town! good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks just like my bike! except exhaust! mine has 33,000 miles and counting and i love it just fast enough to haul the mail and still small enough to handle and zip around town! good luck and enjoy!

Did my bike come stock with the floorboards, front driving lights, windshield, the extra gauges, clock, crash bar etc???

I saw several pictures on line of 2004 Vulcan 750's and none of them look exactly like mine.
Also, on the black side cover does it say Vulcan 750? I can't tell by the pictures my dad sent me.
I am now in the process of designing a bumpout on my 1 car garage so that I can park the bike in it. I used to park my bike in the garage but I bought a sports car last year when I sold my Ultra Classic and that has to stay in the garage.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
jg, where you be boy? look at all that snow! God I dont miss it none. out, ponch
btw, nice lookin skooter.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Did my bike come stock with the floorboards, front driving lights, windshield, the extra gauges, clock, crash bar etc???

jgcable,

I believe all those are added on equipment,

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah its all added on.. i like it all except i like havin the pegs in the arch of my feet! thats just my opinion! later D..

·
Registered
36 Posts
almost all you mention are add ons. The luggage rack is also an add on. Fuel gauge is not. Speedometer is not. Tach is not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike was delivered and its in my dads garage. When I come up to visit him in the next month or so I want to do some routine maintenance on the bike.
Its a 2004 with 5000 miles on it. Its been garage kept since new but barely ridden at all over the last 5 years.
I don't know if or when the oil was ever changed, the primary fluid or anything else on the bike.
I plan on changing the oil and filter and the primary oil (if they are seperate), pull and inspect the plugs, check the brake pads and the air filter. Should I be concerned about the shaft to axle splines since it only has 5K on it? The carb was already pulled and completely cleaned up. Bike starts instantly and runs great so it has no issues at all.
Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Looks like the crash bar, the floorboards, the windscreen, the instrument cluster/dashboard panel (minus the tach and fuel gauge), the light bar, and the pipes are indeed add-ons. I had an 85 VN700 and a friend of mine had a 99 VN750. Nice riding bikes, comfortable, snappy. I like my 900 better, tho, plus mama fits on the back more comfortably. And while I might walk ya all the way up to 110 mph, you'll cruise right on by after that, because a VN750 will do 125 and have some throttle left. Oh, and my ole 700 with 25k on it got about 47 MPG solo.

Just make sure you check out the final drive unit on that thing. There's a lot of 'em that grenade because they were lubed improperly at assembly, and parts are scarce and expensive to replace them. Also expect to replace the cam chain tensioners at about 20k. They occasionally have minor clutch issues, but everyone (except me) who has owned one of these seems to have loved 'em. I just didn't like mine because it was a beater and was just about wore out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the crash bar, the floorboards, the windscreen, the instrument cluster/dashboard panel (minus the tach and fuel gauge), the light bar, and the pipes are indeed add-ons. I had an 85 VN700 and a friend of mine had a 99 VN750. Nice riding bikes, comfortable, snappy. I like my 900 better, tho, plus mama fits on the back more comfortably. And while I might walk ya all the way up to 110 mph, you'll cruise right on by after that, because a VN750 will do 125 and have some throttle left. Oh, and my ole 700 with 25k on it got about 47 MPG solo.

Just make sure you check out the final drive unit on that thing. There's a lot of 'em that grenade because they were lubed improperly at assembly, and parts are scarce and expensive to replace them. Also expect to replace the cam chain tensioners at about 20k. They occasionally have minor clutch issues, but everyone (except me) who has owned one of these seems to have loved 'em. I just didn't like mine because it was a beater and was just about wore out.
Thanks for the info. How do I check the final drive unit to see if its lubed properly? Do I have to remove the rear wheel?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not to chase you off to another forum, but the guys at www.vn750.com have a pinned thread detailing final drive removal and replacement for that bike. pics and all. From what I've read, it's definitely one of those "better safe than sorry" instances, where you might as well do it, whether or not it might have actually needed it.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Not to chase you off to another forum, but the guys at www.vn750.com have a pinned thread detailing final drive removal and replacement for that bike. pics and all. From what I've read, it's definitely one of those "better safe than sorry" instances, where you might as well do it, whether or not it might have actually needed it.
Maybe you can recreate it here for our members so it can be available to others?

·
Registered
239 Posts

I saw several pictures on line of 2004 Vulcan 750's and none of them look exactly like mine.
Also, on the black side cover does it say Vulcan 750? I can't tell by the pictures my dad sent me.
I am now in the process of designing a bumpout on my 1 car garage so that I can park the bike in it. I used to park my bike in the garage but I bought a sports car last year when I sold my Ultra Classic and that has to stay in the garage.
Luciferiad had it right. The guys at www.vn750.com will give you a ton of info on this bike.

I can tell you there are no added on forward controls. They're just add-on floorboards to the stock peg mounts. You can put the stock pegs back on just by pulling out the two bolts in each floorboard. A member on that forum by the name of Knifemaker came up with the design. He also designed the black instrument panel that goes around the tach and speedo. That is not stock, either. It's definitely a nice looking bike. The stock seat isn't very comfortable, though. After 20 miles, I would have plenty of sore butt. If you're a tall rider with long legs, it will feel cramped to you. That's why I sold mine last year and moved to the VN1600 Classic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luciferiad had it right. The guys at www.vn750.com will give you a ton of info on this bike.

I can tell you there are no added on forward controls. They're just add-on floorboards to the stock peg mounts. You can put the stock pegs back on just by pulling out the two bolts in each floorboard. A member on that forum by the name of Knifemaker came up with the design. He also designed the black instrument panel that goes around the tach and speedo. That is not stock, either. It's definitely a nice looking bike. The stock seat isn't very comfortable, though. After 20 miles, I would have plenty of sore butt. If you're a tall rider with long legs, it will feel cramped to you. That's why I sold mine last year and moved to the VN1600 Classic.
I am only 5'8" so the smaller bike is perfect sized for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts