·
Registered
169 Posts
Those look nice.
I'm interested to read too :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
It made me curious as well. So....I ordered one but I ordered mine from Mutazu instead of off ebay. It is identical to the ones on ebay but I have had previous dealings with Mutazu so I went that route. When it comes in I'll see how the real product is and post a few pictures up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It made me curious as well. So....I ordered one but I ordered mine from Mutazu instead of off ebay. It is identical to the ones on ebay but I have had previous dealings with Mutazu so I went that route. When it comes in I'll see how the real product is and post a few pictures up.
Any thoughts you have on it would be appreciated greatly. I was thinking that it might just be more fiddly to get adjust right because of the more "universal" nature of the design but if that's the only real issue then I will get one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really want a batwing for my classic but that is going to take more time while I save up more funds. I am hoping that this will knock some wind over my head and black a few of the bugs that are starting to return. For the price I couldn't help but investigate :)

I'll certainly let you know how it is as soon as it comes in and I get my hands on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have this windshield in the smoke version. My wife got it for me for christmas. I of course installed it minutes later. but since we have had so much snow the few rides i had with it on were around 45 mph. last week now that spring has actually hit Prescott Arizona i was able to start riding to work and at highway speeds the sucker started tilting back at me. I tightened everything up as tight as i could and yep still tilted back at me! as far as im concerened its JUNK!

·
Registered
228 Posts
The previous owner of my bike had installed one from memphis shades, fits the custom perfectly.They arent terribly expensive.it gives good protection except your face,its too short for that, and I am 5ft 9.My shield is clear, has no metal crosspieces like the one you posted.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have this windshield in the smoke version. My wife got it for me for christmas. I of course installed it minutes later. but since we have had so much snow the few rides i had with it on were around 45 mph. last week now that spring has actually hit Prescott Arizona i was able to start riding to work and at highway speeds the sucker started tilting back at me. I tightened everything up as tight as i could and yep still tilted back at me! as far as im concerened its JUNK!
I can see that shield failing, it ties down on handlebars. Might put some kind of rubber between the the bars and the goose neck, I use to use a old tube from a tire to stop things from rotating on handlebars , just hack a patch out

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can see that shield failing, it ties down on handlebars. Might put some kind of rubber between the the bars and the goose neck, I use to use a old tube from a tire to stop things from rotating on handlebars , just hack a patch out
Damn i didnt even think about that. great idea! i'll have to do that tonight. thanks for the 411. I was ready to box it up and put it on craigslist.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't know if those are any count or not, but I had one similar to that on my wife's Honda VLX and it was not that great. Don't get me wrong, it helped with the wind a little but nothing major BUT every 5-10 miles you was having to tighten the adjusting screws ALL THE TIME. If I was to ever get another one I would use blue lock tight and keep a set of pliers (I always keep a leatherman) on the bike to remove for what ever reason.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok I got mine last night. Of course I put it on the bike and I have to admit, I thought it looked ridiculous. It felt flimsy, tilted with the slightest pressure and just didn't look right.

I decided to see if it would work despite my first impressions and took it to work today. I drive about 35 miles to work and most of that is state highway or interstate. My little shield didn't shift at speeds of 75mph or less and it is functional. That being said, it is horrible. It is too flimsy and you can see it warping with the wind at interstate speeds. The buffeting was horrible and it looks ridiculous on my bike. I'm just going to buy another mounting kit for my memphis shades shield and remount it.

My take, save your money and buy a quality shield or wing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also sorry that it didn't work out and thanks for giving us some info. Can you return it to recover some of your cash? I guess I'll keep an eye out for sales for the time being. I'm not going on any long trips anytime soon so I can wait a bit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Honestly, I think so poorly of the product that I wouldn't sell it to anyone else. It is functional if you are in a bind and need a shield but personally I'll continue to ride without one instead of it. It is just too flimsy and I can't stand the looks or quality of the product.

I bought a new mounting system for my original memphis shades screen and I'll probably just buy a taller replacement panel for that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wondering if anybody has tried one of these on a Vulcan 900 or other bike? I'm looking for something just to knock the wind down. Not expecting super quality or anything but curious if they are decent enough to use. Any thoughts are appreciated as always.

I used one similar to this one on a Yamaha 535 and then the 900.
It did the job but I did not trust the fixation on the handlebar, also it had to be very tight and marked the handlebar chrome ( the clamp system was steel), wasn't too happy about that :mad:.
My riding friends said that it looked cheap on the 900 so as soon as I could I replaced it with a National Cycle one, much much better :).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried the piece of rubber bicycle tube idea to prevent the slipping and as i was tightening the clamp down the POS snapped the plastic clamp 3 turns in of the allen bolt :mad:! I was so ticked off i almost threw the thing at the wall. I guess ill just save up and get that memphis shades bat wing like i wanted in the first place!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts