Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Lowes and purchased a coupling Nut 5/8-11 and a 1/2-13 and then used a crecent wrench and was very easy to remove axle hope this helps oh yeah the cost was under 8 bucks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Went to Lowes and purchased a coupling Nut 5/8-11 and a 1/2-13 and then used a crecent wrench and was very easy to remove axle hope this helps oh yeah the cost was under 8 bucks
viper, something like this? 8 whole bux?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anybody know the actual hex sizes of the axle?

I learned the hard way you need to remove the front wheel in order to remove the front fender. I just bought 5/8 and 1/2" coupler nuts, but both are a little too big to fit. Checked my 13/16 spark plug wrench, but unfortunately it is not a through hole. I would prefer just to buy individual hex sockets instead of a high dollar set of large sockets, so it would be great if someone knows the sizes.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Anybody know the actual hex sizes of the axle?
22mm I will chek with caliper in the mornin. Just got bak from 3k ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
22mm I will chek with caliper in the mornin. Just got bak from 3k ride.
Wow, with 3k rides you must change the front tire often! Do you use one of the methods above or do you have a hex socket for it?

I should get a caliper, but don't have one at the moment so if you could check it sometime and let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Wow, with 3k rides you must change the front tire often! Do you use one of the methods above or do you have a hex socket for it?

I should get a caliper, but don't have one at the moment so if you could check it sometime and let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Tomorrow I will start a new thread write up just got back from Zion NP run.
I do go thru a few tires on.. down to 3 bikes. different tools for different task.
calipers are cheap these days, use them every day at work. I made a hex socket for couple bux, pix later

bolt with slightly larger Hex Head 22mm = 7/8". Grind-File Hex head to 22mm. check fitment in fork axle.
2x lock nuts jambed tite against each other on bolt.
Done. even you can do this!

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
I take off my front fender every once in awhile... no need to remove the tire for it.

And trust me.. i ain't a scratching the paint.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Ponch, I will give that a shot so I have it when I need it in the future. While the manual says you have to remove the front wheel to get the fender off, Smedlin was right. With someone holding the fender I squeezed in on the mounting brackets and slid it out.

Now I have everything removed to take for paint except I can't get the fuel level sensor out. Is it normal to have to use a little bit of force? It is almost there, but the float is pinned against the top of the tank and the plastic sensor bit just doesn't want to come through.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
It's a bit tricky, but the float comes on out. I've done it 5 or 6 times...

As for the fender, the trick I do, is I take a few soft towels (terry cloths), and wrap the side of fender, next to and behind the forks. Then the fender just slides out across the towels. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got a 14mm bolt about 3" long and a 14mm nut and welded nut on bolt. 14mm bolt head is 22mm. Presto-front tire removal tool. Axle requires a hex wrench .870" (22mm) across flats. $1.80 @ Auto Zone. FYI, If your local auto parts doesn't carry large metric hardware, almost all newly manufactured farm equipment is metric.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Didn't have to end up removing the front wheel after all thanks to the tip from Smedlin, but I will be sure to look for a 22mm hex next time I am at the parts store. If not, I think I will get a 14mm bolt and 2 nuts. That way I can lock them together without welding :) Thanks for all the hints guys.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My tool that I made to remove my front wheel is about the same as ponch's, except I ground the threaded section of the bolt where the nut goes and welded it together. I grounded it so You can get plenty of weld down in there to hold it. At first I just threaded it and tacked it but I broke it. fixed it a second time and said I be danged if I am going to do this again, lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
22mm Socket

I got a really nice chrome socket from Snap On..............:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts