Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
looks nice! Got a link to the ebay listing? How hard was the install?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150808034402?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

the mirrors will pop out if you ease the black surround gently, then the glass comes right out of the black backing, just a matter of sticking the indicators on the back of the mirror and drilling a hole in the chrome mirror housing for the wire to go through, I also put a rubber grommet in the hole to stop chafing of the wires. then just run the wire down and tap into the wiring loom, blue wire is left hand indicator, gray wire is right, thats on my 09 classic anyway.
the pictures are a little dark, tis late here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify, these things are not adhesive, I used some tape to hold them in place, once you re assemble the mirrors I think they are pretty securely trapped between the mirror and the black backing material.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is awesome. I looked at many of turn/mirror combos before buying my mirros and settled to go without as I didn't like the styles. This is could change that.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was skeptical, but for 19 dollars I thought what the....
They are really pretty good, great in fact, as long as you position them right of course...

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
That is very cool!!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I did not know the back side of the mirror was transparent like that... cool... ordered a pair already....

·
Registered
453 Posts
LOVE IT!! just placed my order! Hope I can wire it!:confused: Need to get some of those wire gromet deals! Do you get them at an auto parts place? Would it be the same color tap-in on my 9er? Thanks for the post!!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any auto shop shold have rubber grommets, or an auto electrician.
I checked the wiring by turning the indicator on and using a test light, you could use a multimeter as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can you post a picture of the tap-in conection? Is it inside the plastic housing that holds the turn signal button? How did you tap-in? I'm a wiring dummy!! Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tapped in where the wires from the indicators run towards the headlight at the neck of the frame, I guess there are plenty of other places you could tap in but like you I tried to keep it simple.
Is it inside the plastic housing that holds the turn signal button damn thats a good idea, doh

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took some pictures this morning, first one is removing the mirror from the housing, just work along the top edge and ease out the top.

I drilled the lil hole under where the stem attaches to the housing.
3rd pic is just how I held it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can anyone walk me thru wiring this up? Is the tap-in a solder conection? Do I remove the heat shrink from the back of the turn signal housing to find the right wires? Were should I tap in? O.K. lets assume I'm a complete MORRON... any helpers?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have a test light? you can get them from auto shops, a screwdriver looking thing with a wire and alligator clip, I prefer the pointy ones so you can stick through the insulation of a wire, the alligator clip is to be grounded/earthed on some nearby metallic part of the bike, then turn on your indicator and check each wire until your test light begins to flash like the indicator, you have just found the right active wire for that indicator, repeat for the other side, then all you need is to earth the other wires.
I would also put a fuse inline on the active wire so you have a safety if anything shorts out for some reason.
check the two wires that are attached to the little batterys which are included for testing. note the positive wire and the negative wire colours, from memory black (earth)and black with a red stripe (active or positive)?
Soldering is always a better method if you know how, next best is to use crimp connectors, lastly those plastic gizmo's that clamp over the wires can in time actually break the wire, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
That is very cool!!
I did not know the back side of the mirror was transparent like that... cool... ordered a pair already....
Great stuff! I'll be doing this mod ASAP!! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I was skeptical, but for 19 dollars I thought what the....
They are really pretty good, great in fact, as long as you position them right of course...
That is awesome. I looked at many of turn/mirror combos before buying my mirros and settled to go without as I didn't like the styles. This is could change that.
NOT SO FAST! I think there is a problem!
I accidently broke a stock mirror on my wife's '05 Vulcan 800, and I can guarantee you that not even direct sunlight will penetrate these mirrors from behind. I tried a bright LED flashlight, and the super bright LED on the iPhone video camera. Maybe the newer light absorbing mirrors have a translucent backing, but as for the standard silver-backed mirrors- forget it!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Here's a package of those signal indicators. The blister-pac has a "try me" button on it, so I snapped a pic using flash so it would come out OK.

The second pic is with the broken mirror laying on the package, and a picture taken without flash, and in a darkened area.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts