Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a chattering noise coming from the rear of the bike. I removed the saddlebags/sissy bar, noise still there. I just decided to start removing things hoping to find the culprit. No luck. Has anyone else had this type of noise? It's kind of a tinny sounding chatter that comes and goes. Doesn't seem to be rpm specific. Definitely driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
its probably the squirrels.... ;)

Ok, I have a chattering noise coming from the rear of the bike. I removed the saddlebags/sissy bar, noise still there. I just decided to start removing things hoping to find the culprit. No luck. Has anyone else had this type of noise? It's kind of a tinny sounding chatter that comes and goes. Doesn't seem to be rpm specific. Definitely driving me crazy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe you've got a ghost or two riding with you:eek:!!! Spooky, isn't it...:D Might even by my cousin here, Achmed...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you've got a ghost or two riding with you:eek:!!! Spooky, isn't it...:D Might even by my cousin here, Achmed...
Everyone's a comedian...:rolleyes: It might even be Achmed's cousin....Habib.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had a "tinny chatter" coming from my exhaust a while after i punched the screen out of my baffle with a piece of rebar. Turns out the rivets holding the backplate had come loose. I took the backplate off and the rattling stopped.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Better hang a bell to get rid of the demons/gremlins/ghosts. My wife just ordered me one because I have been plagued by gremlins since I bought the bike. Hole in drive belt, zerks mysteriously missing, now I've been told my job of 29 years is going away next April so I may have to sell my new LT. :( Seriously though I don't have a clue what it could be, sorry.:confused:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys......my cousins Habib and Achmed are coming over. We'll check out the brakes and exhaust while listening to the Police........
Thanks for the suggestions........and the humor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My first Kawasaki also had an annoying chattering sound coming from the rear of the bike. Here's what I did to fix it :

We got divorced..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe I should have bought the bell before marrying my first wife. Could have saved me a lot of grief:eek:.

Good thing the current one is a keeper (she's helping me plan the next bike..:D...). She's bell-proof.:cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Rollingbones, yes, my current wife is a keeper as well.

But I wish she would let me buy her that little red Ninja 250 at the local dealer..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard to determine what you mean by metallic chattering sound, but my 08 900 LT had a "jingling" sound toward the rear that drove me nuts. It sounded for all the world like a small belt buckle flopping around in the wind.

When I changed my rear tire, I found it...the belt guard was loose..just enough to rattle. After the new tire was mounted and everything tightened..peace and quiet. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I have that noise too. I really notice it if I turn my head to the right as I'm driving. I just assumed it was the belt slapping against the guard or something. Sometimes I wonder if other people can hear it as I pass. If you figure it out, please post it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard to determine what you mean by metallic chattering sound, but my 08 900 LT had a "jingling" sound toward the rear that drove me nuts. It sounded for all the world like a small belt buckle flopping around in the wind.

When I changed my rear tire, I found it...the belt guard was loose..just enough to rattle. After the new tire was mounted and everything tightened..peace and quiet. Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion......I removed everything I could....saddlebags etc.....greased everything, tightened everything, checked the brakes, end caps in the muffler and the noise is still there.
Bike is going in the shop Tuesday.....
I know how THAT is going to go.....of course the bike won't make a whisper that day!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeh, absolutely perfectly soundless, that is until 1/2 mile from the dealers on the way home, then BOOM, BANG, CLANK, THUD, SQUEAL, ETC.

And if you attempt to make an audio recording of the sound, you will on playback hear only wind and proper tire / pavement harmonies.

Noise making components that are supposed to be silent are very observant of what is happening about them and know to be silent when they are being sought. Mantracker would surrender. to them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts